The Difference

As some of you know, I'm a newbie to this hobby. I am thinking of buying a mitre saw, but I don't know what the difference between a compound mitre saw and a plain mitre saw is!?
David Liles asks:

A miter saw cuts in one plane. A compound miter saw cuts in two planes. You can bevel as you miter.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote: the compound cost more so it must be better right ;)

Richard Clements responds:

Let's get these quotes straight. I did NOT say the compound miter saw was better than the miter saw because it costs more. It does a second job in addition to the first, and has more engineering and manufacturing cost involved, so it's quite possible that the $200 CMS is not quite as good as the $150 MS.
And let's not forget, today we've got the $50 MS and the $75 CMS, both of which are better than stepping barefoot in a wet cow pat...but not by much.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote: [snip] both of which

"If you haven't knocked it, don't try it." (Old Swedish saying) :-)