The Daniel Collection - website update

Page 2 of 2
calmly ranted:

If your many posts today are any indication of your UK bretheren's attitudes, I think the newsgroup is better off without them. We have enough warts here to go around.
Ta!
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Ah the patter of the broad brush.
Larry - read what you like. You have a problem with active involvement - or just a long thread?
The reason many UK names stopped coming in here is on account of some of the asinine commentary (read the threads) in what was originally intended as a help forum. Warts - clealy as I am writing to one, I can but defer.

Darn, the weblink disappeared by the time the mail made it to Texas. How about posting it?
Bob

one can search for it or understand what he meant by mentioning the other news group. But, the link is: http://www.thedanielcollection.co.uk/ some very high taste stuff!
Alex

Not hardly.
Thanks for posting the link.
Bob
Jonathon wrote:

Jonathon...
An interesting web site - thanks for sharing!
Might I suggest that when a turner is selected from the right menu the name be either highlighted or presented above the thumbnails?
Have you thought about images that rotate so that the turnings can be viewed "in the round"?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Jonathon wrote:

Bandwidth will probably be a problem for some people. An option to view static images only would be a boon for those with dial-in access. Still, what better argument for all of the best of (high bandwidth) technology than access to good art? (-:

People come in all flavors and with all manner of likes and dislikes - and I've never noticed this much affected by geographic location. Let me share with you that a thick skin is essential for comfort in a usenet context; and that it's usually much easier for /anyone/ to point out what they don't like than to elucidate the magic of line, rhythm, color, or <whatever> that makes something beautiful to them.

The best filters are your own appreciation for the work and your recognition of the wonderful diversity of human perception.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Jonathon wrote:

I've never been accused of eloquence before. Wow.
Well, you do have some choices to make. You've invested in a small museum's worth of interesting turnings (Is that the right term to use?) - you can either quietly enjoy a private collection or garner a certain satisfaction is making them available so that a wider audience can appreciate (or not) some of what you find beautiful. To share or not to share, that is the question...
I'm not a woodturner and so I'm sure my appreciation is incomplete. Some of the items in your collection were beautiful to me - and others weren't. I hope (since you invested your resources) they're /all/ beautiful to you. When I said "Thanks for sharing", I meant "Thanks for sharing your entire collection - for giving me an opportunity to find the beauty that resonated with something inside me - and for giving me an opportunity to notice those which, while perhaps technically well-executed, did not produce the same resonance - AND for giving me an opportunity to consider these things side by side so that I might have a chance to create works of my own that may produce similar resonances in other people. I've had too few such opportunities in my life.
If I succeed, then you will have played a part in helping me to create those works. Perhaps you will note the signature and have the satisfaction of knowing you helped that happen. Perhaps I will create something that produces a joyous resonance within you; or perhaps I will pass some resultant insight on to another woodworker who accomplishes that same end. Perhaps none of these, but who's to say?
Anything you say or do in public/usenet is likely to produce a mixed reaction. If you're hoping that everyone will respond in a single particular way, then a public presentation probably isn't the right answer for you. The problem with selecting an audience that you know will provide a single, particular response is that it's a lot like patting yourself on the back, i.e. minimally satisfying.
Already you've received this person's thanks, so you've lost the ability to say that all you've gotten back has been grief. More than thanks you've received two carefully thought out suggestions for possible improvement of your collection's presentation.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

lol ok - how about "you rite nice stuff - thanks"

The quality is subjective - and I have seen work in the US that the owner described as museum quality and which i would not throw my lose change into. Speaking to people back in the UK, they knew the turner and the work - and didnt think it was encumbent on the maker to tell a prospective purchaser what was and was not "collectible" that is for him/her/them to determine for themselves. However several of the pieces we did manage to purchase from under the nose of one of your largest and most prominent collectors - so I would class them as being of museum quality. As to the wider audience comment - you're considered opinion based on some of the excrement that is being written currently (and its' owners?) would be?

You mean to say you actually forced yourself to wade through the whole badly written site? Wow - someone with perseverance. On a less frivolous note - my pleasure - our pleasure. No woodturner here either - we just buy pieces that hit us between the eyes and that is a personal call. Would be interesting to know, off list, which pieces you particularly like / disliked and why if you are up for a dialogue. See no reason in providing any further ammunition for some on here - they do that quite well for themselves and I'm not sure that I would want opinions on individual pieces based on the posting quality thus far.

What can I say - when you turn something you really really like and dont want to let go - send me a picture. Those are the pieces we seek out - this make sense to you?

Yes I'd forgotten the calibre of some of the postings from my previous time on here some 2-3 (may even be 4-5) years ago. Shouldn't some of these people be in bed by 7pm?

Damn
More
Noted - but I'm still after an a*****e filter!
Thanks for the time and consideration that went into your post - happy to continue offline.
Jonathon

Here was my argument with you. You posted a link to a web page, asked for criticism, then told the first two people with constructive comments to just not come back. I didn't think that was appropriate. If you want to try to make me the bad guy to make yourself feel better, go right ahead.
todd
My mistake. Perhaps what I should have said is that I would welcome feedback on the pieces contained within the collection and not what individuals may or may not like about the site. To put in perspective, 5,000 visitors in the last two days - am I really that worried with some of the rabid comments made here, um no. Clearly the larger and silent majority have a little more perseverance / application than has been [largely] evident here - or pehaps are even turners genuinely interested in lifting their game rather than playing silly word games online. No - I dont need to make you out to be the bad guy, people can make that determination for themselves - or not. Makes no odds to me either way.

A charmingly naive hope, but utterly unrealistic. When awkward navigational controls make it difficult for visitors to view the pieces on display, you can hardly expect to receive only compliments on the artistry, and no brickbats on the site design.

Or, perhaps, they just get tired of futzing around with non-intuitive controls, and leave without saying anything.

If it really makes no difference to you, why are you going to such great lengths to tell us that?

Despite our initial miscommunication, I have to say that some of the work presented on your site is spectacular.
Well done.
Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Mike Thanks for the kind words - yes we like all of them immensely and as they are displayed on pretty much every flat surface in our home, that is pretty much vital! If you ever find yourself this way - pleae let me know. Visitors [usually] welcome by prior arrangement - we also can accommodate and will be delighted to share the pieces with you first hand. Not an empty offer as others will attest. If there are any particular pieces that you would like a larger image file of - please contact me off list and I will be pleased to help wherever possible. Kind regards
Jonathon
PS You might want to continue this off-list as it would horrify me to lose my pompous ass tag or otherwise correct the "inflated ego" status I am so carefully cultivating.