The Daniel Collection - website update

Page 1 of 2
The above (non-commercial) site has just been updated for turners whose work we have purchased during 2004 and where we did not update the site during the year. If you are interested in examples of contemporary turning from largely UK based turners - please feel free to visit. There is a thread currently running in rec.crafts.woodturning ng following post request for "constructive criticism". In the light of the reaction and abundance of "non-constructive" comments - this is not solicited here. I hope that those of you who feel able to wade through the site inadequacies which seem to bother some, will enjoy what you find and derive some inspiration. I would particularly commend the work of Stuart Mortimer and Luc De Roo to you all. Please feel free to contact off or on list. Kind regards and seasonal greetings
Jonathon

Translation: He can't handle criticism. Take a look at that thread, and you'll see what I mean.
Oh dear Doug - it would appear you did not extend the professional courtesy of reading the full post - particularly the bit where I specifically did not solicit feedback. And you also chose to make deliberate mention of the ongoing debate - why, or perhaps in itself that gives me the answer. This site is put up as a courtesy to those who want to see what turners outside of the US are producing. It involves me in cost, I gain no revenue - advertising, click through or otherwise and I was not seeking site feedback through what was, at the time, a polite post. Disappointing but I guess to be expected. And now I better understand why some of the UK names no longer participate in these forums.

Funny. You mention yourself in the first post that there is already a thread on this topic in the woodturning ng with "non-constructive" comments. If you didn't want any mention of that thread, why bring it up?
todd
Why bring it up? Now that IS a tricky one. Let me think. No - don't rush me. Umm ooh I know. Could it be that I was specifically hoping to avoid the degeneration that has characterised the other post. But that would be too obvious surely!

Do you walk around with a "Kick Me" sign taped to your arse in real life, too, or just on Usenet?
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:12:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Dang it! You owe me a clean monitor! :-)
off to hunt for the windex again, grumble, grumble
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
No. We afford people a little more civility and professionalism this side of the pond - usually.

I somehow don't think the problem is the thread, maybe both threads have something in common. Any ideas?

I think it's very clear that I *did* read the part where you specifically did not solicit feedback, since I speculated on reasons *why* you didn't want any.

Your reality check just bounced, chump. *You* "chose to make deliberate mention" of that ongoing thread in your original post here. Not me. I added my comments to your mention of it, but it was *you* that brought it up.

Codswallop. The primary purpose of the site is obviously to inflate your ego. This of course means that the site is superfluous.

Originally, when you posted on r.c.w., you specifically *did* request feedback. Having received feedback that you didn't like, and apparently unaware that some folks read both groups, you now come here touting your site and requesting that we provide *no* feedback. Interesting. You're evidently either a Usenet newbie, or naive in the extreme, to think that you can post a link to your site and not receive at least a few comments about it.

Perhaps you should work on understanding why your expectations do not conform to reality.

Perhaps your sort of stuffy pretension is looked on with favor on your side of the pond, but it doesn't play quite so well over here. There's a strong egalitarian tradition in the United States, and many Americans delight in sticking pins into pompous, overinflated gasbags just for the enjoyment of watching them sputter around the room. You're providing far more entertainment than you can imagine.
Oh dear Doug - how can I possibly thank you for giving me so much proof positive

So why bring it up - unless of course you sought to resurrect what I was trying to avoid. You're a bit like a running sore you just cant resist picking at really aren't you.

Ego - with the tripe you put out? Well as the site is, to you, superfluous - dont't visit. I'm sure my ego can withstand the embarassment and knock back.

Do you find you hurt yourself a lot then. We have a far more tolerant attitude over here, something you would do well to learn from both personally and, on a much larger scale.
You're providing far more entertainment

Stuffy pretension - 10/10 for spelling - but do you actually know what you are talking about? Nothing I have read thus far leads be to believe so. Why is a site that is something other than basic labelled thus? Then again dont bother - I am really not interested in your own, personal, bigoted views. You're a vocal minority of 1 - and its about time you received attention in this proportion. Oh and dont think you can speak for the other 300 million - you're not big enough. Egalitarian - you might like to think so - but really. What ever sport you think that you, nationally (your call this not mine), like to indulge in to cover up your own personal inadequacies I am more than happy to enjoy.

*I* didn't bring it up, dolt. *You* did.

TrollFilter again...

Yes, I'm pretty sure you are.
Jonathon wrote:

*Jesus Christ Almighty*, Some people just don't know when to quit. Give it a miss Jono, and take the good with the bad in good humoured silence. I guess the sound of a keyboard is rather silent :) John
Who is Jono?
Doug Miller wrote: snip
Do we have this added to the nfilter dat file yet? I was intersted when I read the write up in the AAW mag, but after the attitude and trash talk, I'm getting tired of hitting the (I)gnore button.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

pompous gasbag, but not quite so easy to filter responses to his posts without filtering the same people when posting in other threads. I'm sure it's not a difficult problem to solve; I just haven't done the necessary research yet.
Aww - y'ole pompous gasbag!
We have phrase that seems somewhat fitting here - takes one to recognise one Mr Miller