The creek is drowning you guys.

Absolutely nothing structurally wrong with that concept in the least:

it has some elements that makes it inherently flexible. Here is that same bench in use today:

only thing questionable about the implementation of Bill's design so far is the legs possibly being too close together on the ends, relative to the height, at least for the use he originally expressed.

Working with what he already has, and providing the floor of his shop is flat enough to allow without too much shimming, this would solve that problem in a few minutes:

Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:TY-dnWuTS8ui-lbSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

*snip*

I like it. Nice and easy and it would only use a minimal amount of wood.

Notice how the ends have an angled cut on them? That will be much nicer to step on or roll something against (Why do they put long cords and small wheels on vacuums?) than just a straight end.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yeah... we both laughed about it. It's not that he isn't interested in making other things it's more of a time and money thing that goes with having a house, wife, job, and other responsibilities. His tools are late model and like new....

I understand your point.... I recall meeting a retired guy at a waterfall while out bicycling one time. The site had been used for target shooting for many decades and rumor had it that it was used for same back to the civil war and before. Anyhow, he had a new Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger .22 semi auto pistol. He fired one magazine from each, i.e., 10 shots from each, wiped them down and put them in their cases. To me that seemed odd.... Years later, having sons, I buy .22s by the case (5,000) and it's not usual to go through a 1,000 at a range session. ;~) Anyhow, I asked him if he was done so I could walk around the falls a bit. The discussion continued and he went on to explain that he had had a life long photography hobby but between the demands of friends and family for his photography skills it was no longer pleasurable. He sold all of his photography equipment and bought a couple .22s as that was something that could be his alone to enjoy. That encounter was memorable and I try to remember the lesson learned.

That said, sometimes people just need encouragement or guidance to help them reach a higher level that they themselves desire. For example, recently a woman I mentored for years was moved to a different department under an organizational realignment. Let's just say that my training, education and experience are at a much higher level than that of the department where she landed. After about two weeks of seeing how things worked in her new department she came back to me and said "I've never felt so smart in my whole life!" and "I understand now how far I've come." While working with me she hadn't quite gained the self confidence that she should have had and it took exposure to her new assignment for her to understand how far she'd come. She will become a star there in short order... no doubt about it. This mentoring experience turned out to be a very good experience for me too though it was challenging for both of us at times.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Great story ...

Reply to
Swingman

For materials that outgas for a while when new I typically put them in a warm place with a lot of ventilation for a while before bringing them into a closed environment. That goes for sheet goods, polyester fiber fill quilt batting my wife uses, new shower curtain liners, carpet type rugs, etc. About 22 years ago I had flu like symptoms for many months before I figured out it was chemical out gassing that was making me ill... I threw away the new pillows for my bed and the symptoms disappeared!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Bill here is my workbench

will see the current and previous workbenches. Let me explain the current... Big ass stretchers. I do a lot of hand planing and I didn't want racking.

I see benches as someone provided a link to where the stretcher is on the top and bottom. That serves no purpose and will rack like crazy.

My stretchers on the ends are big ass dovetails and through mortise and tenon with wedges.

The big stretchers that on the long sides are made to prevent racking. And so far I have yet to move this bench the slightest even with heavy planing. I have clamp space on the top and this bench weighs over

300lbs... it's not going anywhere.

Top: Maple Legs and stretchers Beech with walnut wedges.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Formaldehyde. Home Depot wells some Formaldehyde-free plywood. It is lighter-weight, doesn't get rave reviews and it is pricey, but I'll probably try it in the future anyway. I'll keep my eyes open for other sources too, as you suggest.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Swingman,

Thank you for making this post/(reply to UC). As I mentioned last night, I already removed the end arbors and cleaned up the legs.

Attaching the end grain of the legs to an "extended base" would have been an interesting option, but I have no regret on what I already did. I've noticed that the design I have for a "big bench" has the pedestal feature that you and others have described.

Cheers, Bill

>> The only thing questionable about the implementation of Bill's design so

Bill

Yes, A concise way to remember it is that "People will tend to get what they 'need' out of their activities." Interesting story.

I agree. Of course, now you are pushing them from what they 'need' into what you want. And mere exposure might sometimes substitute for encouragement and guidance. I recall my first week at my first programming job as a new graduate. I examined the work that the experienced person at the desk to my right was doing, and thought to myself "WOW!, The standards/expectations for documentation, code-clarity, etc." just went up 2-levels!", and I strived to make that level my new normal. Of course, one doesn't just automatically produce at a higher level just by striving to do so, but I think it's a good start!

Cheers, Bill

For example,

Reply to
Bill

I learned my lesson through manufactured (assemble yourself) furniture. I was in disbelief that the mere presense of a "piece of furniture" could "make me sick" (sweating, shortness of breath). But the evidence was undeniable. It took me a long time to figure out "out-gassing" too. In our society, it is a truth "swept under the rug". I still can't say I know all of the products that are "bad" (nor I think, does anyone), but I proceed now in an aware manner.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Very nice looking work. I will similarly place my stetchers, but (unfortunately) with screws this time. Thank you for the lesson!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I always use the mitre saw. I don't cut straight freehand.

I had to take a day or two off. I went back to the store for a couple more 2by4s today. I am basically back to where I was at my last photo session--except I'm sporting a 24-tooth blade now. I've made a couple of "perfect" cuts with the speed square, but they are in the minority. I check my results with a combination square. I think one of my best cuts occurred when I had lots of "push" behind the saw and barely looked at the saw guide. I hope your projects are going well!

Bill

Reply to
Eric

Took me a while to figure out you mean a power miter saw! Yes, one of those definitely would have come in handy. I have my dad's old (wooden) miter saw in the garage. :) I believe they still make them.

I do pretty well with a hand saw--in fact, I switched to cutting my 2by4s with one--a 20" saw made by Irwin. I can make more accurate cuts in less time overall than with a CS it seems. I haven't failed to get it right the first time with a hand saw yet. It marked contrast to what I have done this week with a CS! : )

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

It only works if you have a sharp saw. And since very few people have the skills or jigs to sharpen hand saws, that means you end up buying a new saw when the old one gets dull. But they are good for people who are an accident waiting to happen with any kind of power tool. I bought several of the Stanley Fat Max hand saws for folks who should never use power tools. I even have a couple of them myself. If I need to do very much work, I get out the power tools. But if I only need to cut one or two small boards, it is hand saw time. It is just faster and simpler.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I agree. I find using a handsaw enjoyable work, in moderation!

Reply to
Bill

Depending upon the make and the model, take care of it. Some of those vintage miter saws are getting to be highly prized.

When doing the smaller trim on a kitchen cabinet, like on the visible end panels with a scribe strip still showing, I much prefer to do the cutting by hand with my old miter box.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree. I find using a handsaw enjoyable work, in moderation!

===

With about 20 years experience, each. with a hand saw and mitre saw I found I have cut myself an infinite amount more times ('mericun ratio) with the hand saw. I can't ever remember cutting myself with the power unit but slipped many times with the hand saw and it jumped over my thumb onto my flesh somewhere. Maybe this is because the power mitre saw scares the hell out of me. Best $179 I ever spent, thrice (Brit ratio).

Reply to
Eric

Depending upon the make and the model, take care of it. Some of those vintage miter saws are getting to be highly prized.

When doing the smaller trim on a kitchen cabinet, like on the visible end panels with a scribe strip still showing, I much prefer to do the cutting by hand with my old miter box.

=====

The old mitre box does have an advantage. You can pull out an old hack saw with a fine blade for small trim and very few splits. 80 teeth 10-12" power saws can't compare.

Reply to
Eric

I posted 3 pics of the virtually-finished result, in case anyone would like to see them. It's basically Swingman's design stretched to

58"L x27"W x 40"H. The height feels like it was made for me! : )

you, again, to everyone who helped!

Bill

Reply to
Bill