The Building Bidness

The opposite is happening in the UK. Developers buy up larger houses, which have decent sized gardens, demolish them and put up half a dozen tiny boxes which they then sell for ridiculus prices and large profits.

Well, did I suppose, the current finacial situation has left them unable to sell :-)

Reply to
Stuart

Friend of mine used to spend summers at her grandparents' antebellum Southern mansion that is now a museum. She lives in the Wright-disciple house her architect father designed and built. Her neigbors are tearing down all the surrounding houses and putting up McMansions and they don't have a clue why she thinks they're all buffoons.

Reply to
J. Clarke

you know, i've heard that wright disciple comment before, but i guess it all depends on the disciple and how brainwashed they become.

my neighbor house is one such. besides a first floor with exposed beams at

5'10" off the finished floor, and building it directly in a wash that gets 4' of water through it about every 2 years, it was described by the previous owner as having windows that shook and let the gusts blow through and empty the dust out when it's windy.

i've toured the nearby wright mansion/school in scottsdale, az. from uncomfortable furniture (that couldn't be changed out), to low ceilings, to odd angularities, to thin windows/walls with not much insulation, it's not much better.

i take that type of recommendation with a grain of salt now.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

"charlie" wrote

I know. My wife loves everything Frank Loyd Wright. We have numerous books etc, that detail his work. Along with various accounts of people who lived in his houses. Many of the houses were cold and hard to heat. Falling Water was falling into the creek and had to be rescued with big bucks because he did not use reinforced concrete for the support beams.

I personally love the way his stuff LOOKS. The function is something else. I never understood why he insisted on uncomfortable furniture. It is very much an artist perspective. Beauty is in the visual presentation. The human needs are not really addressed. And as occupants in his art, we are all expected to suffer. For art's sake.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

The difference between a Wright house and an ordinary house is that the ordinary house may _have_ character but a Wright house _is_ a character.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Lee Michaels" wrote

IMNSHO, FLW ushered in the Idiot Age ... women should thank their lucky stars he wasn't designing tampons.

Reply to
Swingman

By the way, the granparents' house (or more specifically the yard) has a Web site:

J. Clarke