The Borg vs Lowes

Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know where?

Borg VS. Lowe's? Lowe's is a Borg.
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:39:53 GMT, "Leon"

Sorry I had to add my 2 cents.

LOL... It is all dependent on where you live I guess. Lowe's has been in the Houston are for some time now and they make Home Depot look like a Flea Market by comparison.
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:39:53 GMT, "Leon"

Big Orange Retail Giant

Not quite, although some know it by your association of those words to the color of HD. In the Tech Encyclopedia, Borg refers the Cyborgs on Star Trek and the comparison of a company that dominates in its field. Not necessarily restricted to Home Improvement stores.
Borg A type of cyborg in Star Trek that devours everything in its path. Companies that dominate their field are called Borgs, and Borging is the verb. See cyborg.
Leon wrote:

Well, technically Lowes is a BBRG.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Uh Huh... BTY I ordered and should receive my MultiMaster tomorrow. Thanks again for the information you gave me concerning the blade life. I ended up getting the XL on sale.
Best thing that can happen is when they're about a block apart. Believe me, the pricing's better than out somewhere's all by themselves!
TomNie

Oddly I have a mix of 5 Home Depots and Lowe's within 7 miles of me and in the middle of it all a Family hardware store that is constantly growing and beats all the Borges pricing on same products. This is in SW Houston.
Near Brenham TX, about 70 miles NW of Houston, the Borgs are more expensive than the mom and pop hardware stores and lumber yards.
You pay for convenience, sorta. If you buy at a Borg, you can probably pay less elsewhere for the same identical item.

possibly be close enough to be worth a side trip on my way home from work (Hwy6 & Westheimer area).
Thanks, Roy

In my neck of the woods they are next door to each other, share the same (overall) parking area. HD was there first.
Interesting experiences/observations: It seems like what one has (in some cases) the other has a minimal/nonexistent stock, or flat don't carry it. Several times I have been forced to go to both just to get all the stuff to complete a job, neither had a complete stock of all things on my list. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but since it seems like it is a 50-50 chance I will need to make two stops to finish a job.
They both seem to make "mistakes" mixing paint at about the same rate, however, so I will usually check both anyway, hoping to get a deal on a 5 gallon pail of paint that is a close match to one of the colors used on my house. I keep a baggie in my truck with paint peels off the cans used for the largest areas to maintain. One or two lucky finds a year help "ease the pain" of knowing I sometimes HAVE TO go both places to get materials I need. Ha! regards. Joe.
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:24:47 -0400, "Tom Nie"