The Borg vs Lowes

Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know where?

Reply to
Drb

Borg VS. Lowe's? Lowe's is a Borg.

Reply to
Leon

I had to add my 2 cents.

Reply to
Modat22

LOL... It is all dependent on where you live I guess. Lowe's has been in the Houston are for some time now and they make Home Depot look like a Flea Market by comparison.

Reply to
Leon

Big Orange Retail Giant

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Best thing that can happen is when they're about a block apart. Believe me, the pricing's better than out somewhere's all by themselves!

TomNie

Reply to
Tom Nie

Not quite, although some know it by your association of those words to the color of HD. In the Tech Encyclopedia, Borg refers the Cyborgs on Star Trek and the comparison of a company that dominates in its field. Not necessarily restricted to Home Improvement stores.

Borg A type of cyborg in Star Trek that devours everything in its path. Companies that dominate their field are called Borgs, and Borging is the verb. See cyborg.

Reply to
Leon

Oddly I have a mix of 5 Home Depots and Lowe's within 7 miles of me and in the middle of it all a Family hardware store that is constantly growing and beats all the Borges pricing on same products. This is in SW Houston.

Near Brenham TX, about 70 miles NW of Houston, the Borgs are more expensive than the mom and pop hardware stores and lumber yards.

You pay for convenience, sorta. If you buy at a Borg, you can probably pay less elsewhere for the same identical item.

Reply to
Leon

Well, technically Lowes is a BBRG.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Uh Huh... BTY I ordered and should receive my MultiMaster tomorrow. Thanks again for the information you gave me concerning the blade life. I ended up getting the XL on sale.

Reply to
Leon

In my neck of the woods they are next door to each other, share the same (overall) parking area. HD was there first.

Interesting experiences/observations: It seems like what one has (in some cases) the other has a minimal/nonexistent stock, or flat don't carry it. Several times I have been forced to go to both just to get all the stuff to complete a job, neither had a complete stock of all things on my list. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but since it seems like it is a 50-50 chance I will need to make two stops to finish a job.

They both seem to make "mistakes" mix>Best thing that can happen is when they're about a block apart. Believe me,

Reply to
Joe Brophy

Leon, what's the name/location of this hardware store? Sounds like it could possibly be close enough to be worth a side trip on my way home from work (Hwy6 & Westheimer area).

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
Roy

possibly be close

Ace beats the big boxes on some things, particularly real "hardware".

Reply to
gfretwell