The Borg part..... ?

Page 1 of 4
As most of you are well aware I am an anti-borg to say the least. Well here is the latest I found out today. Local lumberyard tells me that they are getting a lot of people saying they are out of line with regard to pricing on 250' boxes of 12-2 romex. Salesman calls a fellow salesman at the borg and says "wtf is up with this"? Borg salesman replies, "ahhh, hehe, you don't realize that corporate changed all our wire to 200' boxes instead of 250' ". The new packaging minimally mentions the footage in the box as opposed to the old packaging.
This of course goes along with Kellogs putting a couple ounces less ceral in the same box for the same price, Lays and other chip makers doing the same for chips, and so on. These minimal reductions (not to say that 50' of wire is minimal) of course add up to millions of dollars across the nation. Whats odd is why there would not be a notice posted in the wire isle telling the guy who figured a job for 750' of wire that he now needs 4 boxes instead of the three he has bought for the last 35 years.
Yet we still question, Mark

Well getting less food is probably a good thing. We all probably need to eat less. As for the Borg pricing in Houston, the Borg has just about always been the highest place to buy. Same items at the local hard ware store are less expensive. The Borg is convenient, and that is its only value IMHO.

Simple Marketing. Most people will notice a price change, MUCH quicker than they will notice a quantity change. Which means a quantity change will have less impact on sales than a price change. Which, ultimately, makes it a much more desireable way to raise prices, for a bean-counter with his eye on the bottom line.
Nobody ever went broke by understimating the stupidity of the average consumer.
-Kevin in Indy - who's got an Orange Borg & Green Borg within 2 miles - Woodcraft & 84 Lumber, 3 miles, Blue Borg, 4 miles, Harbor Freight & Rockler 5 miles, Sears Hardware & Ace Hardware, 6 miles. I think I'm about to be assimilated. To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........
Wait a minute. The OP said people noticed the wire was cheaper at the borg, so they put less wire in the box AND they lowered the price. Honestly, as a consumer it is up to you to keep track of what you are paying. Yeah, maybe they cut the amount of wire by 20% and only lowered the price by 15% but you can easily figure that out.
I like the bogs. I like Rockler and Woodcraft. I like mon and pop stores but on the things that matter I know who charges what and if they are mostly too expensive, I stop shopping there. Typically the borg has pretty good prices but if it is something I buy often or is expensive, I see who has the best price before I buy.
BW

.
I am not sure about the pricing but I will make a call tomorrow and post what I find. I am pretty confident that the price likely doesnt reflect the reduction to 200' quantity in the box however I am also pretty comfortable that they are not charging for 200' of wire the same as they did for 250'. Its likely a split somewhere in the middle.
The fact of the matter is if you cant see when a company is willfully changing an industry standard in an attempt to deceive consumers to maintain sales, then you should be on the board or are perhaps a corporate lawyer. I agree with you 100 percent that it is ultimately up to the consumer to monitor purchases and that they inffact have driven the industry to where it is. This will however become a fulltime job and would apply to every single item you purchase if this became the practice as a whole.
The system that you propose support of is infact working in reverse. Rather than a corporation being supported by satisfied customers, the corporation is trying to sustain itself through customer deceit. This has actually basically been their mission statement from the get go. Of course if the bigger system truley works, this deceit should result in dissatisfaction which should result in change, and if refused, failure.
Mark
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:29:23 -0700 (PDT), BDBConstruction

I can't reply about industry standards, not being in the industry, but in California and Arizona, the borgs use "unit pricing" like the grocery stores do.. just check how much per foot each place wants and buy the best deal..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Do you ever check their arithmetic? Sometimes the unit pricing is wildly off, like catfood at $50.00/oz.
And some cats still would turn their nose up at it and then go lick their butts.
--
FF

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:19:12 -0700 (PDT), Fred the Red Shirt

Kind of raises the question of how good tasting does the food really have to be?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

This could start a whole new marketing concept in the pet food industry.
"NEW AND IMPROVED! - TASTES LIKE ASS!"
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

You're no marketeer, are you?
"Feed your beloved pets the CAT-ASS TROPHY meal!"
"Robert Bonomi" wrote:

Don't have a clue, but if you are looking for a cat, check my tires.
Lew

Which reminds me of an oldie but goodie.
Q: How do you make a cat sound like a dog?
A: Dip the cat in lighter fluid and toss a match at it.....!! WOOF !!
Don't you know the cat food has catnip in it. And the can was specially designed for the new Green concept as it will rust faster! Thus reducing waste in the landfill. ROFL.
Rebus

"BDBConstruction" wrote:

post what I find.
I can remember a time when a wire quote was only good for 1/2 day.
With the price of scrap copper above $3/lb, I'm surprised the wire people aren't quoting price in effect at time of shipment.
It's been done before.
Lew

Lew, Wire quotes here are by the week right now on quantity. We buy our wire in 1000' reels and onesey twosey so it doesnt really affect us but thats what the supply house has been telling us for months.
Prior to that it was daily pricing but wire has settled down a bit.
"Kevin M. Vernon" wrote

There you have it!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

Wow... I think I have had all the coffee I should have on this rainy day.. Fidgety fingers fired off that shot before I could type DITTO.
*knees knocking*
*clickety click*
*teeth chattering*
Robert

Here is another one that gets me. I was in the grocery store a while back and decided that I would buy some Pringles (don't ask me why). They had two-packs on the shelf and I figured that they MUST be a deal. When I actually looked at the pricing, it was 10 cents CHEAPER to buy two single tubes than the two-pack. I saw that on other things in the store too. Not always, but enough to know you have to check.
Wayne

Blue and Orange Borg directly across the street from each other about 3 mi west with a green about a mile further down the same road. Big B about 4 mi east. Fortunately, Rockler is about 25 miles away with a HF right next door to it, and Woodcraft is about 35 miles away down a different highway. UNfortunately, my favorite True Value was forced out of business by the city. Ace is about 12mi. Only places to buy good hardwood are 25mi, 35 mi, and 50 miles away with the two closer places being very small with minimal selection, and the last one is a MacBeath's in the Peoples Republic of Bezerkely.

ever get to see a paycheck?
shelly