The BORG is watching ... YOU!

take a pencil and paper with you. if the item you pick up off the shelf doesn't have a sku on it, write it down. it'll save you a LOT of time, as i've found out.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

That's the reality of being in PUBLIC. I'm a big privacy advocate also, but anything I'm doing in public, in full view of anyone who might be watching, is by definition NOT private, and thus not a privacy issue.

You have a reasonable expectation of privacy in bathroom stalls and dressing rooms. You don't have it in any place or area where another person could happen upon you.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Try standing there screaming "customer service in plumbing!" (or whatever appropriate place). It works wonders, just don't do it if you plan on going back too often. ;-)

Oh, yeah, don't tell anyone *I* suggested it.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote in rec.woodworking

Hmmm, better stop scratchin my butt in the tools section.

Reply to
Ward Cleaver

Leuf wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think they used the word 'indefinitely' incorrectly, probably meaning they can keep info longer. Statute of limitations would apply to any 'crimes' commited and recorded. Unless someone was murdered, I would see no reason to keep this data forever.

Reply to
CyBrShRk

So what? "I" have the same technology at my HOUSE. I took an old E-Machine, added a Grand e-Guard video capture card

from Ebay ($30), a few inexpensive CCTV cameras from Super Circuits
and my computer logs any movement on my property. The software that came with the video capture card allows a grid to be placed over each camera image and only movement within that grid will be stored to the hard drive. I can also access the LIVE video from any other computer.

Crime has increased to the point that I feel the need to now monitor my yard and house. I already had one camper stolen while I was at work.

A few months back, my replacement camper was almost stolen too. A neighbor happened to see what was going on at 4:30 AM. She called the cops and the bad guy beat feet when he saw her, leaving a stolen truck parked in my yard. Not long before that, a gang of kids went through all the cars parked outside, breaking in them and stealing anything they could find. Another neighbor saw them and the cops nabbed a few, which ratted on the rest. None of the criminals live in the neighborhood, but apparently, it's worthwhile to "shop" here. Numerous houses have been robbed.

My images are recorded daily, recorded electronically. I can share them with the world, but so what. Ya wanna see the meter reader walking through my yard? Probably no more than he wants to see you at the BORG. Want to see me at my BORG?... hang out there, I'll be along shortly. Take pictures if you want.

Ever go to a bank, any chain store, an airport, or even 7-11? You have been recorded for years, probably daily. As long as you ain't up to nuthin', you got nuthin' to worry about. The next scumbag that tries something at my place is in trouble. I'll post their pics online FOREVER, then hunt them down. --- Insert psychotic laughter here ---

:-)

Reply to
2manytoyz

Not near as much space as you'd think. Even the inexpensive card I have has

300:1 compression. It can also be set to only record movement, which greatly reduces the amount being recorded. I used a Sylvania 960 hour time lapse VCR, but recently switched to this:
can record weeks worth of constant video (not just movement) on the hard drive. Once the drive is full, it will write over the oldest video if I select that option. If I ran a business, I could dump a weeks worth of data on a few DVDs. I just bought Verbatim 4X DVDs at Circuit City for $36 for 30 disks.

That single time lapse VCR was only a single channel. So to record multiple cameras, either a sequencer is needed, or a quad splitter. This gets to be more expensive and troublesome than the digital setup. My VCR died a little over a year after buying it ($399). The computer now recording my video is

5 years old and is still running strong. Oh, and I paid $399 for that computer too. ;-)

Unlike movies, security videos typically run at a slower frame rate, also reducing the amount of space needed.

Reply to
2manytoyz

Particularly if you plan to pursue a career in politics someday. :)

Abe

Reply to
Abe

Why? You just might get an offer from a professional baseball team ;-)

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn