The Big-A** Hawaiian Punch Tracks at the "Bank of Venus" Checkout

So, the "studio"(1) is finally built and I've been having the fun of a lifetime fitting it out with some longed-for tools, and as is apparently the case with several others here, I find myself waiting on a GI 50-185. Called the store during lunch on Friday, they pinpoint the saw's location to exactly somewhere between Taiwan and my house, and the delivery time as "Sometime soon now, we hope. We'll call _you._"
Flash forward to around 9pm Friday night, the LOML and I are unloading the grocery cart onto the conveyor belt at the "300 items or more and paying with a check from the Bank of Venus" line.
LOML: "You looked perplexed."
ME: "I am. I've been waiting on the contractor's saw I ordered forever, and there's no end in sight."
LOML: "Isn't there another one like it you'd consider buying instead?"
ME: Well, yes and no. The one I ordered has gotten consistently great reviews but I'm concerned that the sudden demand might have forced a drop in quality control. And since there's no telling when it will be here, the longer I wait, the more reason I have to believe that they are _really_ slamming them out. There are other saws on the market comparable to it, but the one I ordered is one of the "best bangs for the buck" out there and other ones of similar or better quality are _considerably_ more money. Enough so that there's even less reason not to go all the way to a cabinet saw."
LOML, (with deer-in-headlights look): "What's a 'cabinet saw'?"
ME: I explain. Everything I know about the differences between the two classes of saws. Tell her all about how cabinet saws run faster, jump higher, go farther than the car with platformate <tm>...
...well, you rec'ers know...
Then I explain that _part_ of what's got me miffed is that I purposely chose a smaller saw to better fit the size of the shop. Explained that at _some_ point in the future, a cabinet saw might be a possibility, but in a small shop I don't see myself ripping a bunch of 12'-long 3"-thick Maple, and honestly, I just plain didn't want to mess with it until we moved in a few years and I built a bigger shop.
LOML, looking at me like she knows she's not going to like the answer to the question she's about to ask: "So how much _more_ money than the one you ordered does one of these 'last-saws-you'll-ever-need-to- buy' _cost?_"
ME: "About a grand. Maybe 12 - 13 hundred."
LOML: "Why don't you just get the cabinet saw and quit doinking(2) around?"
I dropped the gallon of Big-Ass Hawaiian Punch. Big-Ass nasty mess all over the floor. Ran all-over-everywhere. The mop and bucket guy got up what he could but hell, it was _everywhere._ As I'm wheeling the cart to the exit doors, I look back and see Big-Ass Hawaiian Punch tracks all the way back to the checkout stand.
'Bout the prettiest thing I've ever seen.
Michael
(1): No, I'm not an effete artiste. They call apartments that are too small to be real apartments "studios." At 12X16, I'm pretty sure my shop is a "studio" shop. :)
(2): Yes. She actually said "doinking". It was so cute I almost cried.
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

Yeah, you got to lover her for that. And for the cabinet saw.
When are you going to introduce me to her sister?

Oh yeah, you've met LOML Alice. :) Yes, she's got a sister. No, she's _nothing_ like Alice. Whatever picture you get in your mind when you think of the 180 degree opposite of Alice, that's her. :|
Michael
Oh well, had to ask anyway. Are you voluntarily going to bring that great persimmon guitar to Westmoreland this year or does someone have to go get you?
thanks for the laughs! So when do you order the "last TS I'll ever need, honey"?
dave
Michael Baglio

do it before she can change her mind, re-explain what she meant / what she thought she said. Speed is of the essence here.
Oh yeah, suckerage bub. BTW, if you name your bigger tools like some of us do, "Hawaiian Punch" is kinda catchy. "BAHP" saw? Hmmm...
--

Greg

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of

Done and done. Be here Thursday. :)
M--