The Best Woodworking Web Site?

OK, I know, there's more than one. The trouble is anyone who owns the software and has an uncle that needs a Web page is building Web sites, calling themselves Web site builders and probably 99% of the sites suck and that includes most nearly all the Web sites, like say 99%. I mean, these same guys/gurls would have bought a typewriter (pre-Al Gore's World Wide Web) and thought themselves to be the next (insert name of great writer here/I say Hemingway)(1).
Right?
(Rant Off)
So, without further ado, I nominate Pat Warner's site as "The Best Woodworking Web Site".
http://www.patwarner.com
Your Mileage May Vary.
Feel free to nominate your own.
Just say no to banner ads, bad design, mouse droppings, blinkies and (insert other annoyances Web site designers have at their disposal here).
(1) What I am most thankful for is these same people have no foot hold into other areas of design like cars (imagine the crap they'd come up with), clothing, print media, housing and so on.
Yeah I know, I went (Rant Off) above. Just can't help myself when it comes to trashing Web page designers/you can't trash them enough. The World Wide Web is the double wide trailer of design. I mean, the damn thing oughtta be regulated.
UA100

Gulp. Now I'm shaking in my boots. Especially since you just recently mentioned mine. I thought I'd worked out most of the web-design-no-nos on my page. I know I don't have banner ads or blinkies. I don't know if I have mouse droppings or bad design.
Of course the problem is, no one ever sends you email telling you your site sucks. And what if the gush email you do get is just someone trying to be double-wide polite? What do you learn from that?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Ok, your site does not suck. However, its not a website. Its a BLOG.
Bob
On 5 Mar 2005 05:45:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I wish I knew what that was. Then I'd know whether to be insulted or not.
Seriously, thanks for the "does not suck" vote.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 14:42:22 +0000, LRod

http://www.blogger.com/start
Sat, Mar 5, 2005, 3:15pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ccc.com (AllynVaughn) posted: http://www.blogger.com/start
The link says: A blog is your easy-to-use web site, where you can quickly post thoughts, interact with people, and more.
Ah, I was afraid for a bit that my web page was a blog. No fear it isn't. I definitely don't interact with people there. LMAO
snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com says...

I have been known to do that. Just yesterday I sent an email to a vendor pointing out that the photos on his site were beautiful, but it took several minutes at 56K to load the page.
I'll check out your site.

LRod wrote:

I'm more looking at the "professional" sites. Pat sells from his. You don't. In other words, we turn a blind eye to ho-mades.

I appreciate complements. I learn from criticism.
UA100
http://www.woodshopdemos.com /

(snip)
Yeah, and how come
...GM can't design interiors? ...women over 200 pounds wear sweats? ...Howard Stern is allowed to appear in public? ...we all can't just get along?
I'm thinking it has something to do with our humanity, but what do I know?
Bob

Yes, Pat's is good. I've learned much there, and bought a little.
Maybe not in the vein that you intended, but as an all- around, excellent wReck supplement/supplant, I offer the group effort
www.woodcentral.com
Thank you Mssrs. Walentine, et al...
In the category of "the design is dated, but not compared to the content":
www.supertool.com
Thank you again, Mr. Leach.
And an honorable mention, and word of gratitude, is certainly due Jeff Gorman, from the side of the pond which spells funny...
Patriarch, who rather likes these 'on-topic trolls'...
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:16:07 -0600, Patriarch wrote:

Agreed. Same here. But, <snip>

I think more than an honourable mention. It is my favourite. Simple, clean and a wealth of useful info.
http://www.amgron.clara.net /

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of freedom. We see the same thing happen every time a new generation of tools comes along that makes what used to be the province of highly trained professionals available to anyone.
We saw it in the 60s when cheap, easy, offset printing was taken up by the counter-culture and the result was things like the underground newspaper.
We saw it in the 80s when desktop publishing and laser printers came along.
And we saw it starting in the 1990s with web design. (Or lack thereof.)
The fact is that when you put powerful tools in most people's hands you're going to get crap -- most of the time. I'm sure old-time cabinet makers felt the same way when inexpensive power tools made hobby woodworking popular.
But on the whole it is a very good thing. In all cases we get an enormous outpouring of crap that by and large settles down into a lot of solid, pedestrian work and a whole new generation of really brilliant stuff from a small minority.
I've been particularly struck by this in web design because I've only recently started working with it again after being away for about five years. Five years ago, when HTML 3.2 was new and Netscape and Internet Explorer were duking it out, web design was an unholy mess. It was dominated by refugee graphic designers who insisted that every element appear just exactly _so_ and would do anything to make that happen. One-pixel gifs, non-breaking spaces and all kinds of browser-specific tricks were the norm and people got very upset if you suggested that you actually respect the medium you were designing in.
Today there's still a lot of ugly crap out there and, of course, a lot of juvenilia like blinking images, but things are a lot better. The dominant school of web design understands the medium better and is dedicated to working with it rather than fighting it.
Meanwhile these new technologies enable us to share information better and more freely. Remember 'freedom of the press belong to he who owns one?'. Not nearly as true any more. Or just consider this NG.
Now if we could just convince these people that content and not cream sauce is important. But that's the topic for another rant.
--RC
Blatent promo...
http://www.nbjoinery.net
New UK one man joinery business...
maybe not the best but it's hosted on an ITX computer cased in an Ash Box !!!
NMB

Rick Cook wrote:

Agreed that we should convince people but I disagree that it's for another rant.
UA100
http://www.inthewoodshop.org
This was the one that got me started in woodworking about 3 years ago. I think Howard does a good job of keeping it up to date.
TonyMo Ontario
http://www.codesmiths.com/shed/workshop
I bought all the books that Andy mentioned under the Craftsman style section. Cost me a hundred bucks... Worth it though.
He has a nice section on fuming white oak. I'll be doing that next week, or perhaps the week after.
--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years
Sat, Mar 5, 2005, 12:24pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (UnisawA100) says: <snip> So, without further ado, I nominate Pat Warner's site as "The Best Woodworking Web Site". <snip>
Damn, hit the wrong button, the first time.
Well, depends on how you consider it. Pat's site is good, which is why I have a link to it on my woodworking page, loads of good stuff there. But, as far as web pages go, my personal favorite is my own. Not because it's fancy, or just because I made it; rather, because everything there is something I use, will use, or am interested in. I don't much care if people look at it, or not; it's a reference site, for me, and has what "I" want on it, with stuff added, or discarded, about daily.
Here's the wood portion of my web page. Don't expect it to not change. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/WOODSTUFF /