The Best Woodworking Magazine .....

For? Beginners? Intermediates? Experts? People interested in specific aspects, such as turning, marquetry, box making, etc.? Trade magazine such as Woodshop News or Cabinetmaker? Primarily plans, such as Woodsmith, or ShopNotes?

Quite probably the old American Woodworker was near the top of the list for hobbyist woodworkers, back in the days when it was in black & white. Today, it's a tug of war.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Fine Woodworking by Taunton Press comes to mind. They don't always cover topics of interest to me.. but when they do, they do a good job. I leaned on that magazine pretty hard when I started off in 1976.

It must be a bitch of a job to try to stay fresh after 30 years.

Reply to
Robatoy

The one in my mailbox when I get home from work, because I have something new to read whilst taking a dump.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Didn't we just have this thread? I'm thinking its time for the split the group or metric vs. imperial measurements thread. Although it has also been a while since we've had the "best finish for a butcher block" thread also.

Mark & Juanita

Whichever one you've got a subscription to, because it comes right to the mailbox. Seriously, go to a news stand or bookstore and compare them on any given month- they're all pretty much the same. I like Woodsmith because it comes on matte paper and doesn't have ads. If I liked glossy paper and ads, any of the others would do just as well. Any given one of them is going to have one or all of the following on any given month:

How to tune up your plane/chisels/planer The secret to perfect joinery A bunch of user tips An article on finishes An article about glue A plan or two for some stuff you really don't need that month A head-to-head comparison of routers/tablesaws/bandsaws/air nailers

They're all pretty much the same when it comes right down to it, and you could pretty much flip a coin IMO.

Reply to
Prometheus

The early issues of Fine Woodworking were wholly different than the current breed. I think the change has something to do with people getting older and less driven to make the magazine the best possible. Now the magi seems to be a little fussy and overly deferential to the gods of woodworking. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

As a newbie I prefer Wood magazine. Lots of shop and jig projects and the woodworking projects are usually in my skill/tool level.

Woodworkers Journal is NFG due to the *free* book scam. This one won't get renewed.

American Woodworker is OK but a lot of advertisments and most of the projects are beyond my current skills.

Only received one issue of Shopnotes, so no opinion yet.

Reply to
RayV

I think the best all around magazines for WW is Wood and Popular Woodworking imo. Some don't like all the advertisements, but I enjoy reading them too.

Reply to
Dave

Let's do mailboxes.

-----+