The Bench is done!

This thing is a monster that took nearly every tool in my shop to complete, from the belt sander to the welder and everything in between! pics on apbw. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Very nice Dave...very nice indeed. I'm sitting on 120 bd ft of home-milled

9/4 curly silver maple that I brought home from the kiln the other day (total cost = $0.65per bd ft...CDN) and wondering if it's time to make a real bench of my own... you've inspired me...not tipped me over the edge yet, but you have inspired me :)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

home-milled

I do believe it may be a crime to use that kind of wood for a benchtop. Just soberly consider that you may be in danger of hell for using curly maple for a bench. ;-} OTOH The issue may just be deeply rooted jealousy that I do not have a source for $.50USD per bd ft CURLY maple. How in the world did you find such a thing. W

Reply to
hikinandbikin

Man, $.65 bdft for curly maple, what a deal that is. I got 160 bdft of

11/4 oak for $54 US and used approximately 120 bdft to build the bench. Curly maple would just be way cool, and it sounds like you have enough to build a good size bench! --dave
Reply to
Dave Jackson

would just be way cool, and it sounds like you

Bob Keys did it, take a look, ain't such a crime for a thing of such beauty:

AAvK

Seriously nice bench! You did it in three weeks while I as a learner have to take about nine months through on and off adult ed. class sessions of 2-1/2 monthes each, then a 2-1/2 month break between each session just to use the table saws while I am struggling through my design and configuration ideas for my bench. It is not your fault! Huh!

Really awesome bench though, one of the best I have ever seen online. You could probably sell the plans for it and make something of a bundle, I think. I envy your ability.

Reply to
AAvK