The Anti-Wreck - A Cause For Confusion

I have, as I am sure that some of you have, watched the attempted and apparently breach-delivered birth of the Anti-Wreck with some amusement.
Some, no doubt well-meaning folks, came in, flags-a-flying, with the thought of creating a family safe environment for WoodDorkers - far away from the tickling flames of Wreck.Norm and all its sordid doings.
I had no problem with that, thinking it a decent repository for the decent folk, who had no business on Wreck.Norm.
Why, one of the flag wavers even came to Wreck.Norm to gloat, a few days back.
I had no problem with that and hoped that all the decent folk would gather under their banner, leaving my indecent brethren and I in peace.
I applaud their thought and their efforts.
I am the first to admit that Wreck.Norm contained the most obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, opinionated, screwed-up, politically incorrect, mindless, thoughtless, constantly-pissed-off human beings on the planet.
You may have noticed the past tense in the above statement.
Have you ever gone onto news.groups?
It's an eye-opener.
Regards, Tom.

You don't get out much, do you Tom?
;-)
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:31:36 -0600, Dave Balderstone

"Missed the Saturday trolls....heard they crowded the floor I couldnt bear it without you Dont get around much anymore
Went to visit the Wreck....i got as far as the door Theydve asked me about you Dont get around much anymore
Well darling, I guess my minds more at ease But never the less, why stir up memories
Ive been invited to flame......should have done but what for Its awfully different without you Dont get around much anymore"
:->
(apologies to Bob and The Duke)
Regards, Tom.

Arrrrggghhh. Darn it Tom! I've snorted my morning pills into a nostril.
Retractor, I need a retractor..
--

Greg

I started working on a reply to Charlie using the lyrics to "Lydia, the Tattoed Lady" but I had to stop after the first verse... Took me 10 minutes to clean the beer off the wall (15 feet away).
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:06:23 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Aw man, ya gotta finish it, cause I gotta see it!
(watson - who thinks Lydia is Groucho's Greatest Hit)
Regards, Tom.
Ayup Tom,
I've been quietly lurking, following the progress of the Soft Wreck with interest (well, ok, not _that_ much), but I still haven't found it yet, even on Teranews. Is it worth the effort? Enquiring minds don't really give a stuff...
BTW how's that dog of a chest-of-drawers coming along??
Cheers,
Frank

It hasn't been created yet, and may not be. The vote is under investigation for ballot stuffing (although the n.a.n. team that issues the order to create the group has made the statement that they do not suspect the proponents of any malfeasance). A decision will be made November 12th after they look at the individual ballots that were cast.
I think there is a good chance that the vote will be ruled invalid and the "softwreck" will just be a twinkle in Vito and Susan's eyes.
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:43:11 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I hope not - otherwise they'll just start the RFD again for rec.wood.fluffy
It's not about the group, it's about their need to own something.
Andy Dingley wrote:

That's Steve Knight's group, isn't it?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/graphics/banner.gif
BugBear
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:26:21 +0100, bugbear

Where is Steve? Hasn't posted much after the accident, has he? Hope he's still OK and nothing "latent" popped up...
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:37:49 +0100, "Frank McVey"

Did that monkey - used some of your suggestions, along with some others. Posted pix on ABPW but they weren't much, just showed the drawer sides sectioned out with newly added material.
It works pretty good - but it is still ugly as sin.
One cannot overcome the intent of the maker, in WoodDorking, or life itself.
Regards, Tom.

Over the years I have hung out in groups that make n.g look placid. A bunch of us said it during the RFD on rec. ww.pointless that this is one of the gentlest, most civil and strive free groups on usenet - with one of the best s/n ratios around. Nobody wants to believe it.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
In view of the mindless, vulgar spamming going around on subjects like this, this seem appropriate.
http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html
<snip> obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, opinionated, screwed-up, politically incorrect, mindless, thoughtless, constantly-pissed-off human beings on the planet.<snip>
Hey, I resemble that remark.
I have NOT been following all this discussion about the creation of the fluffy wreck. Forgive me for my ignorance on how newsgroups work but why is there a need for a vote in the first place? If someone wants to create a moderated, all ages, feel good, mom & apple pie, sesame street approved, Victoria era don't show anything above a woman's ankle, newsgroup that has a woodworking theme of interest (or any other topic for that matter) can't they just go ahead and create one?
"the more people I meet, the more I love my dog" Tony actually I'm not constantly pissed off, just most of the time.

Sure, in ALT*, but not in the Big-8 (sci, soc, rec, comp, humanities, news, talk, misc). Big-8 group propagate better, and they are usually picked up automatically by major news providers, whereas ALT* groups usually need to be requested by subscribers.
If Vito and Susan's vote get's thrown out, they could post a proposal to alt.config for an ALT* group and create the group after 7 days, without a vote.
--
Bill