Thanks Swingman! Tape Relief!

Based on the thread of a week or so ago and your comments therein I purchased a Stanley PowerLock 12' tape (33-312).

I'd never used a tape this small but it's a nice, compact little fella (much more so than my Satanly 25' MadMax 1" Wide that is like carrying a 1911 on your hip all day).

I'm liking the little guy big time.

t.

You're most welcome! Funny you should mention that. I'm in the process of moving my shop and one of the things I did yesterday was to make sure I had one of my two Stanley 12's in each place ... so if I needed to cut something for the new place in the old place, where I still have sufficient power, the dimensions would correspond!

:)

Reply to
Swingman

I could pretty much put a .30cal round from an M1 or M14 where I wanted it but with a 1911 in my hand, the safest person in the world was the guy I was aiming at. Never did get the hang of that thing.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Wish that mine was an original. I think they call it a 1991, or some such.

tom watson

"Tom Veatch" wrote

I know what you mean.

I have a sister who is much smaller than me. She can shoot that big .45 better than most male shooters. And MUCH better than me!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

LOL ... know the feeling. Although (and it was strictly a fluke) I did fire Expert with the damn thing and still have the medal to prove it! Lord knows how. The 1911A1 was so notorious that, IIRC, all that was required was to hit the target frame, the target, or any part thereof, at 25' ... or maybe it was the ground in front of it? ;)

That said, my "personal combat plan", worked out in my head and in advance out of necessity, was to use the 1911 as a "rock of last resort" if things looked they were going to get a bit too 'close quarters'. Thanks to an M79/buckshot, things never did get that close ...

My dad still has the 1911 he was issued in WWII, and he carries it under the front seat of his car. At his age, 85, he won't leave home without it. I can't say that I blame him.

Reply to
Swingman

Around here we have a 1911 contest as a side show for our quarterly

8541 gun club meeting. We call the club The 1903 club - because everyone who shoots does so with some version of a 1903 Springfield.

It is formally callled the 8541 club because that used to be the mos number of the scout-sniper, back in the day.

We shoot open iron sights out to 300 yards - and we are some old bastiges. We only get to shoot further about every three years when we get to go on the National Guard 1000yd range.

We actually have two guys who are for real 8541's and they clean our clock whenever they show up.

You can imagine some twenty five guys who collect and shoot '03-A3 Springfields getting together to shoot and tell lies.

It's a lot of fun.

The guy who usually wins still has his worked weapon that came out of the Marine Corps armory that made stuff for snipers and shooting teams.

I hate him.

Sumbitch can shoot, though.

tom watson