Thanks for Tapered Bit Advice

I'm not sure who posted the advice (I think it was Leon) about Tapered Bits for drilling pilot holes. I bought a set from Woodcraft (sorry no gloat paid full price) and used them yesterday on a tool stand I'm making. They worked very well, drilling the pilot hole and the countersink in one shot sure is nice. Plus I was able to use my compact ion driver, even with 1-3/4" #8 woodscrews. So thanks to whomever made the original post.

Reply to
asmurff

What are these "Ion" drivers of which you speak, a new style fastener? LOL

Reply to
Leon

It is a nano version version of the engine that drives the starship Enterprise.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I think 'ion' is street-lingo for Lithium Ion ...

Reply to
Robatoy

Nah, it's the propulsion system used by the Eymorg in=20 the epiosode "Spock's Brain". Don't ask me why I=20 remembered that, 'cause I don't know.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Okay ya busted me I own a Skil Lithium Ion compact driver, wasn't sure how to spell lithium so I left it off. I usually don't use it for that type of job, I doubt it would have driven the screws without the tapered bit.

Reply to
asmurff

I think he omitted the R from iron. I think he's driving the screws in with some sort of a golf club.

RicodJour

Reply to
Leon

you talking about something like these or something different?

Reply to
Upscale

"Brain and brain and what is brain?!!!!!!!"

Heaven help me, I still remember the dialog of that episode...

Reply to
tom_murphy

Fascinating!

Reply to