Thanks for Tapered Bit Advice

I'm not sure who posted the advice (I think it was Leon) about Tapered Bits for drilling pilot holes. I bought a set from Woodcraft (sorry no gloat paid full price) and used them yesterday on a tool stand I'm making. They worked very well, drilling the pilot hole and the countersink in one shot sure is nice. Plus I was able to use my compact ion driver, even with 1-3/4" #8 woodscrews. So thanks to whomever made the original post.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

What are these "Ion" drivers of which you speak, a new style fastener? LOL

It is a nano version version of the engine that drives the starship Enterprise.

I think 'ion' is street-lingo for Lithium Ion ...

I think he omitted the R from iron. I think he's driving the screws in with some sort of a golf club.

Nah, it's the propulsion system used by the Eymorg in the epiosode "Spock's Brain". Don't ask me why I remembered that, 'cause I don't know.

"Brain and brain and what is brain?!!!!!!!"
Heaven help me, I still remember the dialog of that episode...
tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Fascinating!
Okay ya busted me I own a Skil Lithium Ion compact driver, wasn't sure how to spell lithium so I left it off. I usually don't use it for that type of job, I doubt it would have driven the screws without the tapered bit.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

;~)