Thanks for all the suggestions! Also, another question or two (was Mortiser vs. Drill Press)

Hey group,

Thanks for all the great suggestions on my mortiser vs. drill press quandry. After much consideration, I've decided to go with the drill press, forget the mortising attachment and buy a good set of forstner bits and a good set of bench chisels. After thinking about it, I like the idea of doing a bit more of the work by hand, although I don't think I'm quite ready for neandering. Also, I got to thinking on all the recessed bolt holes I'll need for the various jigs I plan on building for my table saw... anyways, I am also wondering what recomendations you all have on chisels. I've been eyeing a six-piece set by two cherries, but the price may be prohibitive. I'm sure I could use them for the rest of my life and leave them to my grandkids to boot, but I wonder if I would be just as happy with something more reasonably priced. Your suggestions on the matter would be very much appreciated! Also, while I'm at it, I might as well get your thoughts on which forstner bits I should be looking at. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Regards, Adam Diehl

Reply to
Adam Diehl

IMHO, Two Cherries have gone downhill in the last few years. They're now judging them by how shiny they are, not how well made. They're still good chisels in the factory, but the last step seems to be to over-polish the backs to them so that they emerge whale-backed and not at all flat. Pretty useless in a chisel, although I await their wood turning oval skews !

If you can find some with flat backs, then get them. Apart from that, they're lovely chisels.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They make a six piece "value set", which is the same as the regular set except that the chisel blades are unpolished. Do you think those would be a better bet in that regard? (They're also $30 less, which is a definate plus either way)

-AD

Reply to
Adam Diehl

Sounds good. They're basically good chisels, although who knows what a "value set" might be in these days of predatory value-engineering MBAs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley