Thanks for all the help! -- some pics of my music stand

Ended up using the recommended jig to slice up the firewood -- also went with straight boiled linseed oil for the finish. You can see a little splotchiness on the cherry -- I'm hoping this will even out after another coat or two, and then some paste wax.
Here's some quick pix:
http://www.kristindare.com/html/untitled10.html
Thanks again. You guys are all great.

Hey, nice job!
Very nice work! I love the contrast in the woods.
hey I like it!
Well done!
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"mark" < snipped-for-privacy@mail.com> wrote in message
mark writes:

Very well done.
Charlie Self "Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer

Thanks! The two other tips from here that I ended up using in this project -- the plane shaving used to plug a hair thin seam in one of the joints -- you can't even see it now. The other one was the "gluing the small piece to a larger piece with hot melt glue" trick in order to cut an angle on it on the TS.
On a different thread about hiding mistakes, this one would fit right in -- on the feet, I got done cutting them out of the firewood, and then realized that one of them had a saw kerf in the top from a previous attempt to cut on the bandsaw without the jig -- and I didn't have another piece to make another foot. So to "fix" it, I took a dovetail router bit and routed out the saw kerf. Then did the same to the other 3 legs, and cut 4 brazilian cherry triangular "plugs" and stuck them in the dovetail holes. Added a nice contrast element against the white maple, and fixed the boo boo.
mark wrote:

    mahalo,     jo4hn
Added a

Smarter than the average chair
nice idea!
In article

Very nice indeed. Nicely executed design.
ranted:

Nice. Care to share the details with us? Joinery, adjustments, etc.
-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT? --------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Sin-free Website Design

Not much to the joinery, really. The cherry "tube" is just 2 side pieces with a 1/8" saw kerf an 1/8 deep, and then two other pieces with a rabbet of the same size. This is glued together with a solid plug in the bottom 4". The inside slider is just two pieces of 1 3/8" cherry with a spacer top and bottom. The height adjustment bolt goes right thru the center of it. The fork at the back of the easel is cherry, and there's a circle of leather in there to act as a friction aid to prevent the thing from slipping all over. The feet are dovetailed into the base. The easel part itself is 1/2" stock -- the maple is from the wood pile, which is pretty cool - I've been saving pieces during "stacking season" for the last couple years, and finally got a thickness planer that allowed me to do something with it. The joints on the easel are just lap joints, which were a pain in the butt to keep square and tight during the glue up. I think if I did another one, I would glue each one seperately, instead of trying to do it all at once -- either that, or peg them. It would have made it much easier to clamp up and keep gap-free. That's why I needed that plane shaving. The small verticals are just friction fit into sockets that I drilled with a 1/4" forstner bit and chiseled out. They're not glued --just trapped between the top and bottom. It's a christmas gift for a friend, so I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. He's the lead singer for a band called The Badlees (had a hit or two in the 96-97 timeframe), and it's for his home studio.

Makes me wish I could play an instrument. Great job!
Man, that's pretty!
wrote in message

I love clean design, Great job! The "splotchiness" is really minimal, do you have a sunroom you could set it in to expose it to light for a few days? Probably even everything out nicely.
Michael Baglio

Thanks, michael -- I'll give that a shot.