Textured siding and shiplap question

Hello all, When using textured wood siding (t-111), do you seal the overlaps with adhesive or caulk. I am going to stain the wood. Also, do you do the same for shiplap siding?? I am using shiplap to make a barn door.

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Jack

Don't seal it with anything. It is a vertical overlay and that will allow the water to run down and also allow for some give and take.

Reply to
Anne Watson

OK. sounds good. Here is a followup... would you seal the wood with a stain or preservative on the lap portion before putting them together?

Reply to
Jack

Same for shiplap. Install it starting with the bottom with each successive board overlapping the one beneath. No caulking needed. Prime and paint. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I didn't seal the overlap and haven't noticed any leakage.

But then I have trusses with a foot overhang and fly rafters with over a foot overhang.

Reply to
Mark

no and no.

Reply to