Texas Ebony?

A freind near Austin Texas has offered to send me some "Texas Ebony" to try turning. Anyone worked with this stuff and if so what's your opinion of it?
charlie b

I hear it works pretty well in "DELAYth" if you are willing to follow the grain. Sorry I could not resist.
I've never heard of the stuff.
Bob

Mmmm.. in that case it could be petrified bullshit?

Bob, Woodcraft and Hardwood Lumber in the Heights sell Texas Ebony and IIRC Rockler has had it in stock. Expensive and heavy.

Well, I learned something. I tend to avoid the expensive aisles of the lumber perveyors. I've already got a few feet of some really good wood that I'm scared to use because I'll probably screw it up. I'm still waiting to get my dream bandsaw to slice a hunk off my 16/4 Cocobolo.
Bob

Oddly I started making fewer mistakes when I went from using Pine to Oak and other more expensive hard woods. I guess the additional cost of a mistake make me better plan my projects.

I have worked with it a little while making Knife handles. It is tight grained like Ebony and cutting leaves a smooth burnished surface. The color was very dark brown to black and had light blind streaks. It is rather expensive however not so much as typical Ebony. Very heavy. I can post a picture of it on a.b.p.w. If you like.
charlie b wrote:

I'd take it. All you'll ever want to know...
The tree http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=texas%20ebony&sa=N&tab=iw
The wood http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=texas+ebony+wood
Pictures http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=texas%20ebony&sa=N&tab=wi
--