Test the new USENET VOTING SYSTEM

Didn't mean to lump all sysops in together, but when I read the stuff these guys say, it really takes me back.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) writes:

correction:
You guys are the old sysops from the 80's and early 90's who BUILD the Internet.
Bruce Barnett wrote:

I think you mean "built" don't you?
Maybe, maybe not. Experiences may vary, but my experience was that the internet was the realm of an elite, privileged few. Some big industry types, military types, college students, professors. We were off to the side doing the BBS thing in a completely different world. We had echo boards like FIDONet and the other one... Hrm. Anyway, "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" calls guys like me "DOS hackers." We weren't part of the UNIX scene, and weren't part of the internet in the '80s. Not my generation, especially. Those born in the '60s, and who then went on to be in the right place (universities, big industry, military) at the right time were doing that deal in the '80s, but we children of the '70s didn't really get our first taste of the internet until the early '90s.
I had a dialup shell account at my school for a year or so, as soon as I managed to cajole my way into getting an account, even though I wasn't a CS major. Shortly thereafter, they started one of the nation's first ISPs in the next town, giving me access to the internet "directly." It was pretty cool. I used to ftp stuff from some yonder to the university computer, and then download the files to my home computer with zmodem or kermit, at a screammmmmming 9600 baud, if I was lucky enough to catch the one 9600 baud modem in the pool. Most days it was 2400 if I was lucky.
The web was in its earliest infancy back then, and I had heard rumors about it, but I couldn't do any graphical stuff with that original setup. We didn't even have lynx. I didn't see the web for the first time until '93 or '94, I guess, when I got the SLIP account.
Even at that, only being on usenet since maybe '92, I once tallied up all my old posts in a fit of boredom. Projecting forward, and adding some email into the brew because most of the places I hang out these days are mailing lists, I have a pretty reasonable estimate that I have pounded out around 1,250,000 words on this keyboard, in about 25,000 messages.
Damn I talk a lot.
I hate Microsoft with intense passion, but if anyone has an original Microsoft Natural Keyboard in good shape, I'll take it off your hands. This one has served me well, but it won't be much longer before I actually wear through some of the keycaps. The lower row right hand keys are getting pretty thin on top, and they lost their letters five years ago. Like so many other things in this world, the ones they're making now are complete crap. I want to collect about two more of these olds ones, which I figure will tide me over until the machine can scan my retinas and tell what I'm thinking in about 20 years.

Well, in 85 I was with a small company that had UNIX boxes and was hooking them up to USENET via UUCP. In 87 I joined a Fortune 10 company and hooked it up to the Internet. I never did the BBS stuff. In those days, you grabbed the software and a UNIX box and built everything from scratch. If you had a problem, you read the source code, or else you asks the net-gods mailing list. Russ Allbery is in that category. He was one of those responsible for developing the software that we are using right now. (search for INN FAQ) So you can say he helped build the Internet. More that I did, anyway.
And he continues to do so, by the way. So the comment Larry Bud made

is completely wrong when talking about Russ Allbery.
Thu, Dec 2, 2004, 10:11am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@TheCabal.zzn.com (Russ) come here burbling: TIME TO VOTE- It is time to vote <snip>
OK. My vote is you print your post out, on very stiff paper, crumple it into a ball, and then suff it . . .
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss

No, _no_, *NO*! _Don't_ 'crumple it into a ball' -- the correct approach is to 'fold it until it is -all- sharp corners" *then* emplace it.
Sat, Dec 4, 2004, 10:23pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (RobertBonomi) says: No, _no_, *NO*! _Don't_ 'crumple it into a ball' -- the correct approach is to 'fold it until it is -all- sharp corners" *then* emplace it.
I stand corrected.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss

I'm not sure. Is "emplace" a real word, then?
Tue, Dec 7, 2004, 9:58pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (DaveHinz) wonders: I'm not sure. Is "emplace" a real word, then?
Yep.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss
test - test