Termites in wood

I have a pile of wood in storage too long for future projects but a few have temites in it. Some have active infestation and it goes to the trash but some look like inactive but how can I tell for sure? Should I just throw everything out in that pile?

Reply to
** Frank **

"** Frank **" wrote in news:K8SdncPMGKFSHBLbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yes. Then go to the hardware store, and buy the proper termiticide, and use it according to the instructions.

Don't mess with these bugs.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Sat, Jul 7, 2007, 5:06am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (**=A0Frank=A0**) doth sayeth: I have a pile of wood in storage too long for future projects but a few have temites in it. Some have active infestation and it goes to the trash but some look like inactive but how can I tell for sure? Should I just throw everything out in that pile?

What makes you sure it's termites? Unless it's on the ground, I'd say probably not; termites are apparently fairly fussy about their eats, no wood too wet, or too dry, just in a certain range. You'd probably need a professional opinion to know for sure. Then it may, or not, be able to be saved - tenting and fumigaion pops to mind, maybe soak it in someing. And, the cure could wind up costng more tha a supply of new wood.

As I understand it, termites don't spend 24/7 in a selected piece of wood, they must go back to the next, they can only get their norishment in the next somehow. Maybe there's a McTermite's there. Google is your friend.

Hmm, I recall readng something about borax, but don't remember if it was to get rid of termites, or mules. Google.

J T

It's more likely Powder Post Beetles. Do a google search and you will find info on how to identify them. Heating the lumber above 130 degrees for several hours will sterilize it. A kiln for drying lumber normally achieves this.

I read a post from a guy who covered his lumber with black plastic for several hot summer days and it took care of them. Determine the value of the lumber to help decide if it's worth the effort. Frank

Reply to
Frankcw