Termite Free Wood

Hey all, I am in search of a kind of wood which is termite free. I have my doors and windows completely damage by termite and i want to renovate them with the wood free of termite attack. No care how much costly it is.

Reply to
Arthur32

Arthur32 wrote in news:Arthur32.ba19a08 @diybanter.com:

The *first* thing you need to do is hire an exterminator to kill the termites and treat your home to protect it against future termite infestation.

Once that is taken care of, it doesn't matter what kind of wood you use to replace the damaged portions -- the termites won't be back.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No wood is 100% resistant. Here is a list of some...

To that you can add teak.

Reply to
dadiOH

Professional termite treatment and periodic maintenance treatments should prevent future problems with wooden casework. However, if the maintenance isn't a sure thing perhaps going to vinyl and fiberglass are the way to go if the rest of the house is intact. Can we assume brick or block construction since it seems the termites haven't eaten the house too?

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

and treat your home to

replace the damaged

To maintain a termite free home you MUST maintain a contract with a pest control company. Their contract will provide free termite inspections, spraying if needed, and insurance for damaged done if they miss the termite activity.

The further south in the US you live the more important the contract is.

Your first response will be I can not afford it. Can you afford to do another complete remodel if the attack again. What is a couple of hundred compared to the several thousand to do the repair. We are paying about $100/yr. it varies depending where you live. Shop around and compare plans.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:48:28 AM UTC-6, keith snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote :

If you're within 200 miles of New Orleans, there's a possibility the termit es could be the Samoan termite, which is much more aggressive than native t ermites. They've been know to eat PVC and Pex tubing.

Termites like moist environments. They didn't just show up, recently, they 've been there for some time.

Do proper maitenance of your doors and windows. Don't powerwash those area s. Hand scub when needed, etc. Inspect doors and windows, the seals, etc. , twice a year, for leaks and general damage, etc. Sometimes it's hard to tell when you have leaks in these areas, so inspect closely.

Inspect pillars and/or areas around your slab, closely, for evidence of ter mite, ants or other bug intrusion. Where they are intruding, you likely ha ve moisture issues within the structure.

Keeping the moiture out of the structure greatly helps prevent termite intr usion.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

very practical thing to do is to hire a pest control company..you might need them for a long time, given the fact that yours is termite infested place. that's when you invest in good quality wood and one of them is teak alright..very termite resistant.

Reply to
ehernandez