Termite damage in old large wood box

I have an old very large solid wood box; the wood is beautiful, not too sure what it is though. The sides are dove-tailed, and the only nails/screws are the ones used to hold the skirting and hinges.

Someone from my neighborhood was shifting house and after they left, they dumped this box (together with their other junk) out on the front lawn- which is so large it can accomodate an 6 foot adult or two kids. Measures about 1metre x 500cm x 300cm.

However, there appears to be some old termite infestation in the bottom section of the box and on one of the sides; about 5% of the box. There was also a small colony of black ants. I washed them out with a hose and sprayed the box with Baygon, but I am a bit worried about the old termite nest section. I don't think there are any more termites. What should I do? Should I give it another good spray and then paint over the termite section using a wood filler?

Reply to
Stan E. Markerson

What kind of termites? If subterranean, they'll be dead in no time without a connection to the ground. If drywood, you're on your own as I don't really know much about them. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Hard to tell. I think they're long gone. I don't see any. But the box does have termite damage marks, I think. Or maybe its just caused by the black household ants. It looks like the box was left in a wet spot and so the bottom section of wood was always damp and easy prey for the ants.

Reply to
Stan E. Markerson

Take a a small saucer with a few mothballs, set it in the bottom of the box. Wrap the box in plastic sheeting. Set the box in the garage out of the weather for about 2 weeks. Any live insects remaining will be gone and any eggs should be dead.

After two weeks, unwrap, vacuum out any debris, air out, sit it on a clean plastic sheet, off the floor for a few days and watch for any insect activity. Look for wee piles of sawdust.

By all means strip and refinish it but consider leaving the bug holes alone. Call that character.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Do you live in an area with drywood termites? One thing you could do just for peace of mind is spray it down with an insecticide. Spectracide comes to mind and keep an eye on it. I'd get it up off the ground for sure either way.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Yeah, I gave it a good hard spray with outdoor Baygon.

Its now sitting on a metal trolley, 1 foot off the ground, outside in my paved courtyard.

I see a couple of dazed black ants but no termites.

Reply to
Stan E. Markerson