Terminating Crown Molding

I am going to put up crown molding in the LR. I am going to terminate it, and have it "disappear" into the wall right before the hallway. I.e. If you assume an "L", the CM is going to be on the left of the long vertical part, and the hallway is the short horizontal part. I plan to terminate it about 3 or 4 inches short of the end of the wall. On the other end, the foyer, I plan to do the same thing.
My wife insists that I bring it right flush to the end of the wall. I don't think this will look as finished, and am concerned that it won't look good if I am 1/16" off.
Do y'all agree that terminating it short of the end of the wall is the "preferred" look?
Hi Buck,
Absolutely put a "return" on it - it will look much more professional.
I'd set it back an inch from the end of the wall.
Have done this many times & it looks great.
Lou

When you say bring it flush to the end of the wall, do you mean ending it & not putting a return on it so the open end is visisble? Obviously, you don't want to do that. I would put the return on the end (box it off) and give yourself some wiggle room. After all, even if you bring the top edge flush with the end of the wall, the bottom end will still have some of that wall exposed, so why get overly fussy. Don't make things difficult for yourself.
my 1/50th of a buck.
Joe

you
part,
about
don't
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:48:18 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"

stop short of the corner, and miter it so it dies into the wall at 90 degrees. how much short of the corner you go will depend on how the rest of your trim is laid out. I'd do the first mock up at about 1-1/2" to 2"
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:48:18 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"

I hate to disagree with everyone here but I'd do as your wife asks and take it as close as possible to the end of the wall. Start at the corner and work you way out so that the return cut is the last. Make your first cut a little long and using a return piece to test it, check your length until it's perfect. It may take an extra cut or two but as the old saying goes, "the customer is always right". The thing to remember is that you will have to live with your "customer".
Mike

Let me be the third hand.
I might explore turning the corner with the molding and using a mitered return to have it die a foot or so down the other wall.
Sorry to muddy the water <G>
Barry
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:31:17 GMT, Ba r r y

that one occurred to me after I posted. could look real sharp.