Tenoning jig advice needed

Page 2 of 2
Thu, Feb 26, 2004, 3:05pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) claims: Hey....   Slided is plural and past tense for slid. You slide the jig forward, you slided it back. That is Texas speak. I seen it done onced.
I take it that is addressed to me, even if you don't express that.
Aren't you the guy that came up with the past, present, and future tenses of "wrote"? Writ, rat, rotten. I did written it. I am ratting it. I will rotten it.
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
Add pictures here
โœ–
No JAOT it was not me and yeah I was splainin it to yuh. I like that Writ at an rotten... By the way jeet?
(Leon) claims: Hey.... Slided is plural and past tense for slid. You slide the jig forward, you slided it back. That is Texas speak. I seen it done onced.
I take it that is addressed to me, even if you don't express that.
Aren't you the guy that came up with the past, present, and future tenses of "wrote"? Writ, rat, rotten. I did written it. I am ratting it. I will rotten it.
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
Add pictures here
โœ–
Now see there, that looks and sounds perfectly fine to me........I dont get it....
Jim
Hey Leon, I aint eetyet. yaunt 2? Momannyms guna, we mideaswell.

Add pictures here
โœ–
Leon wrote:

According to Dizzy Dean, it's "slud".     j4
Add pictures here
โœ–
Ben wrote:
Group: rec.woodworking Date: Wed, Feb 25, 2004, 9:57pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (BM Cooper) Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs will work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of my table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about 3 years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for Craftsman). It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to what might work well would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your help! Ben ****************************************************** I bought a Delta Tenoning Jig for use with my Ridgid TS. This saw is manufactured by Emerson and is the same as those which bear the Craftsman name. The table slot width is exactly 3/4" while the sliding bar on the Dellta jig is a bit wider. I removed the bar from the jig, took it to a local machine shop, and had it milled so that the width would provide a nice sliding fit. It only cost me a couple of dollars.
As for the bench top mortiser, I bought one made by Delta and have been happy with it.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar ๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘๘
Add pictures here
โœ–
As far as I know, most recent (at least for the last 3 years) Craftsman saws use a standard miter slot. Certainly, my 3-yr old craftsman does. In other words, the delta jig should work fine. If you post the model#, you may be able to get more information out of this group.
And, I'm very happy with my saw. I've poked and prodded the total runout below 0.004, have upgraded to an incra fence and a rockler sliding table system, have build my own dust collection, put in a link belt and a Forrest blade, and now can slice through thick stock with no burning or bogging down. (Yes, I could've spent the same amount of money and bought a cabinet saw, but then I wouldn't have had the incra and sliding table, which I love - plus, it's easier to get the wife to allow me to spend >$1K on my saw over 3 years than it was to get her to agree to plunking down $1K up front).
-VS.

Add pictures here
โœ–
will

If the slots are now the standard size, it will work. Some of the cheaper saws had (have) an odd size and not a true "T" slot. Just measure them and if they are typical 3/4 x 3/8 it will work. The guide is just plain rectangle, not a protrusion that must fit into the "T".

your
From the reviews I've read, there are no really bad ones. I'm happy with my Delta, the Jet was rated high also in most reviews. Ed
Add pictures here
โœ–
Ben, I took some scrap Baltic Birch plywood, bought a clamp and built mine to slide over and along my rip fence. About 2 hours of my time and $6 worth of materials.
A good mortiser, Delta makes a decent one. Remember though, like with any chisel, you need to sharpen it before use. LeeValley makes a cone shaped stone to put in your drill to remove burrs from inside the chisel and you can polish the outs side of the chisel. This will make the whole set up work much better.

will
my
3
Add pictures here
โœ–
It's very common to have to modify, move, or even replace the bar on these jigs. I have the Delta jig, and when I got it I had a Grizzly 1023. I had to move the bar over an inch or two. The slot-to-blade dimension is different between manufacturers.
I say get the jig and plan on modifying the slide bar. It won't be a big deal.
I assure you the cast iron jig beats the stain out of any wooden home made contraption. For the money I think it might be the best value tool in my shop.

will
my
3
Add pictures here
โœ–
I disagree totally but I guess we're both entitled to our opinions eh?
Jim

about
your
Add pictures here
โœ–

Yes, the newer Craftsman saws are Ryobi made (yeah, I know) and have standard T-slots, which will work with the Delta tenoning jig, and probably any other brand. The older Emerson made Craftsman saws had slightly narrower slots, and I don't think they were T-slots. I'm not positive when the transition year was, but I think it was around 1999 or 2000. If your Craftsman saw is left tilt, as is mine, make sure the tenoning jig you buy will work with a left tilt saw. My Delta jig is the deluxe model (don't know the model # at the moment) and can be switched for left tilt, but I'm not sure if the regular Delta model can be switched.
Tom
Add pictures here
โœ–
Thanks for the good information. Mine is one of the Emerson models. And it is slightly narrower than standard (Can't remember how I discovered this anymore). Sounds like I'll have to get creative possibly. Somebody told me today that the newest Delta jigs were designed to compensate for this somehow, though... Either way it sounds like I can make it work with some ingenuity. In other words: "I gets dat sumbitch slided in dair somehow, ya'll."
On 2/26/04 11:06 PM, in article

โœ–
I have an older Craftsman (about 8-10 years old) that has standard non-T slots (I measured them).
Just got an Incra V27 for Christmas. Worked slicker than snot right outta the box.
codepath

will
my
about 3