Tenon size in relation to thickness of stock.

Page 2 of 2
I have done it in both maple and poplar using my delta benchtop. It works. I did not break the bit.
That only means that it *can* be done.
-Steve
wrote in message

I use either 5/16 or 3/8, depending on my mood. Seriously. 1/4 is a bit shy.
David
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

Cut your mortise first, then match the tennon to the mortise. I prefer the tennoin to be as large as possible with out compromising the outer sides of the mating piece with the mortise in it.

I've learned that it depends a lot on how you cut the mortise, and what size tool you have to cut the mortise. If you chop the mortise by hand, and you have a 3/8" mortise chisel, make the tenon 3/8" thick too.
-JBB

I've often wondered about this too. Generally I use 1/4 inch for 3/4 stock. But have always thought that 3/8 would be better but then I would only have 3/16 on either side - doesn't seem like a lot of material.
Ideally, probably a 'sloppy' 5/16 mortise with a tenon made to fit is probably just about right.
Lou