Temporarily dried up

Page 1 of 2
Wow. Retired life is a bitch when your only real hobby is woodbutchering and you can't think of a new project that feels interesting or is even uninteresting but necessary in the home. Bummer. I suppose I could go and get some new thingjimmy (like a scroll saw or mini lathe) and play around with it until the Wood Muse blows in my ear again - but I don't have the room to add any more shinies. I've already tidied up my shop. NEXT!!!!
FoggyTown Most of my projects' best features started out as mistakes.
Add pictures here
✖

Try woodcarving. It's a hobby than can keep you busy for hours on end, and if you have a bandsaw, you can get started with a minimal investment.
There are carving clubs in almost every town of any size and they are usually very quick to bring new carvers into the fold.
HTH Bill
Add pictures here
✖
FoggyTown wrote:

Do something else for a bit. Something totally different. The wood muse will return in time.
--
©Russ

"Praise Jebus!" - H. J. Simpson
✖
Russ wrote:

He could learn to play the bagpipes or saxophone, for instance. A few days of that and the muse should return with a vengeance, never to depart!
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
BillinDetroit wrote:

At the very least, anyone living in the same house would start encouraging him to get back out in the garage...
--
©Russ

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by
✖
"FoggyTown" wrote in message

Go fishing ... with a cane pole and a cork is even better. Try it, you'll go back to your hobby with a new slant.
(Now, if I can just find the time to practice what I preach ...)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Do some more projects for the shop. There's always something that can be organized better, and then you would have room for that new tool.
If you're really desperate, start looking through JOAT's posts for ideas...
-Leuf
Add pictures here
✖
Mon, Sep 3, 2007, 5:38pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@dontemailme.com (Leuf) doth mumble: <snip> If you're really desperate, start looking through JOAT's posts for ideas.
Say what you will, I'm retired too, but 'I' don't have any problems coming up with new projects. Of course, I 'do' have an imaginagion, and I'm not afraid to use it..
✖
On Sep 4, 12:26?am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Yeah, yeah. We know. You're just so bloody marvellous!
FoggyTown Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes.
Add pictures here
✖
Tue, Sep 4, 2007, 7:02am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FoggyTown) doth burble: Yeah, yeah. We know. You're just so bloody marvellous!
LMAO You need to make some skyhooks for some kids, or sumpthin.
✖
Forgot to mention: Sharpening! Surely there's something in the shop that's supposed to be sharp but aint. If not, I can send you some chisels in dire need ;)
-Leuf
Add pictures here
✖

Extend your workshop, then buy a new shiny!
Add pictures here
✖

How about some charitable work to keep you going? Items which can be inexpensively made but are useful and donatable to Seniors' Homes, Children's Hospitals, Dog and Cat Sanctuaries, School Fundraisers, etc.
ROY!
Add pictures here
✖

Here's some of my current projects: - Rebuilding a set of deck stairs (almost done, just gotta install them) - Building an end table (using T&G flooring for the top) - Hanging a louvered door
You could see if a local Ntrak club needs a couple module bases and build a set for them. (The club I was in would happily pay for the cost of materials, I imagine most would.) http://www.ntrak.org has the requirements, it's simply a 2'x4' piece of plywood with a 1x4 base.
Puckdropper

✖

You just aren't trying. The things that mount in the side of my rowboat to take oarlocks broke. Sure, I could buy plastic ones for $7 just like the originals, but I made them out of mahogany tonight.
It was either that or replace the broken window cranks, or start on the wood couch, or replace the wood molding in the kitchen, or... The mahogany oarlock holders seemed like more fun.
Add pictures here
✖

My wife has a whole list for me.
I could send it to ya....
Mike O.
Add pictures here
✖
You're kidding right?
Boxes - you have to have things that need a box.
Chisel rack(s) and/or hand plane holders.
You have some small handsaws - back saw, dozuki dovetail saw, tenon saw ...
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/WallToolCabinet/RightToolCabinet2.html
Make a bow saw - sculpt some of it if you want to get creative.
All small projects that don't require much wood, take some thought so not boring, can be done with handtools, power tools or some combination.
How about having a go at a coopered door - ain't hard at all. You don't have to make anything for it to go on - it looks nice all by itself.
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/CooperedDoors/CooperedDoors0.html
OR
Get a mini lathe - the JET VS will keep you busy and you can turn prunings. You'll also develop the ability to hear a running chainsaw from a mile away.
charlie b
Add pictures here
✖
SNIP

Boy oh boy, is that the truth. I hadn't turned since early high school, and being totally burned out on flat work I got a Jet mini to test out back in '97. I turned for hours and hours at a time, sometimes all weekend when I go that damn thing.
I finally took a year off last year and let the damn thing sit a while. I have turned everything I could think of out of anything I could get my hands on. Lamps, treenware, pens, mallets, Christmans ornaments, jewelry, bowls, weedpots.... the list is endless. It is fun to raid the firewood pile and turn something out of it.
Conceptually, woodturning to me is not woodworking in the normal sense. It uses an entirely different set of skills and imagination. No two turners (that have been turning for a while) turn anything the same way with the same tools. That's the fun of it as there really aren't any real hard, fast rules to observe.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖
wrote: snip

...other than to make sure that bowl is on there real tight and not to take too much of a bite at too high a speed.... or so I'm told.
Add pictures here
✖

Oh yeah. Having cleaned my clock early on from a wily piece of mesquite trying to makes its escape from the menacing bowl gouge, I always wear a faceshield.
I was wearing goggles, and it hit on just over the top of my goggles (the piece actually broke) just above my eyes. No stitches needed.
I have shot pieces of wood into the sheetrock of the garage, and had many a piece fly off and bounce out into the driveway, and since they are spinning around 2500+rpm, they spin and bounce across the street and into the neighbors yard.
I punish all attempts to escape. When the escapee is recovered, he is usually thrown in the box of wood for the smoker for a fiery death.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖