temporally fastening two horizontal boards

Dear All,

I am searching for a fastener that will temporally connect two horizontal boards.

The fastener needs to be contained within the edge of the boards only and not visable when assembled.

It needs to be temporally as it needs to be removed occationally.

It is a bit like the KLIX DOUBLE DOWEL and associated KLIX CAM fittings that can be found on

(At the time of posting their webiste is not working, hence no link provided)

But obviously the CAM is visable, this is unacceptable.

What I have in mind is somthing like the KLIC DOUBLE DOWEL but with a ball bearing housing (the CAM) that is embedded in the edge of the wood, hence not visable) and captures the end of the KLIX DOWEL when inserted but releases it (after pulling it).

Basically I want a device that acts like a wooden DOWEL (unglued) would when connecting the edges of two horizontal boards. However, fastens the boards together until they need to be seperated, unlike an unglued dowel.

I give the example of a dowel as it is unseen when assembled.

If anyone has come across such as fastener then please let me know, or if I need to provide more information please contact me.

Regards

Simon

snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk

Reply to
stockton

Metal biscuits

or, if you want something fancy and money is not an issue,

Invis joining system

HTH

Reply to
mare

A simple solution is to make some shallow holes that are aligned in the two pieces and glue in magnets, so they have N pole exposed in one board and S pole in the other. They will attract strongly when in contact, but will come apart when pulled. Depending on the dimensions and weight of the boards, you probably want several magnet pairs at intervals.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

Thanks for your responces, I have looked at what you suggest but I have further spanners to throw into the works.

1) I have to remove the joint at 90 degrees to the edge of the boards so sliding it is not an option.

2) Nothing must protrude from the edge of the boards (both of them)

I like the idea of magnets, but I don't think that the attraction between them will be sufficent.

It is not the force at 90 degrees to the edge of the boards but in the other direction (ie. aligned with the connection is not as crutial and the force aligned with the edge of the boards.)

Thanks for your responces so far.

If you have any more ideas please let me know.

Simon

Reply to
stockton

Maybe we need better specs to evaluate the problem and suggest solutions.

If you use rare earth magnets and put enough of them in, you won't be able to get the "joint" apart by pulling.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

On Sun 22 May 2005 04:44:22p, "stockton" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Outside of magnets, I can't think of any way one can keep this specification. If nothing can protrude from either edge, and you can't use glue, and you can't put anything on the outside of the boards, there just isn't any way you can tell those two boards they're supposed to be partners.

Oh, wait a minute. Can you have a screwtop flush on one edge of either board? This cheap computer desk I'm using has something like that. One side has a metal fastener that accepts a hook, and the other side has a hook that turns with that flushmounted screw mechanism. Put a screwdriver in it, turn the hook, the boards come apart. Put them together, turn the hook the other way, it goes into the mounting on the other side.

But this desk is the only thing I've ever seen with that mechanism and I've never seen it in any of the hardware sites. I don't even know what it's called. Hell, I'm probably describing it all wrong besides.

Reply to
Dan