Template Material

First post, here.
I recently chose a non-standard mortise-and-tenon design for a project. Had need of a light, preferably transparent material from which to make a template for laying out the pattern on the mortises/tenons. Couldn't find anything like that around the shop, so I used a thin strip of softwood, which was a pain.
I had some thin, clear plastic which came close, but was too hard to cut with x-acto.
Needs to be: Light and thin. Transparent or translucent. easy to cut, shape.
Any ideas?
Thx, P
On 3/20/2010 11:31 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

Really light: clear report/essay binder cover from Office Depot/Max
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Thanks, I think it'll work for smaller projects.
But it's limited to 8.5 x 11 " dimensions? The mortise/tenon thing I just finished went 19".

Roll of clear mactac?
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:43:55 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

The stuff's like "scotch tape" only thicker? How much thicker?
I'd just pick some up, but I never heard of it before, and Amazon's got only 65 " rolls for around $18.
Thx, P

I was taught this by my 12 year old son (He's 32 now). He was making model airplanes out of solid blocks of pine. To get the right outlined for the fusalage, wing, and tail he would trace the outline on a piece of tracing paper. He then rubbed glue stick on the back and stuck it on the block. He would then bandsaw near the line, and finally sand to the line. Perfect outline every time, and the paper peels off clean. I now use the same technique professionally in woodworking, plastics, and metalworking. But I do the outlines in CAD and attach with 3M 77 spray adhesive.
Ken