teenie weenie gloat

Went with my son yesterday to go looking for his Xmas tree. Went to Costco and saw a 12' tree. He wanted to go see what Lowes had so off we go (less than amile away). They had the exact same tree for $100 more so he decided to go back to Costco.
But before we left Lowes we went to go look at tools. I saw a MM300 mortiser on their clearance table (in an un-opened box) with a tag saying regular price $199 - now $90 so I bought it. It will work for me until I can get the one that I really want.
Only problem is, after I got it home and assembled it, I tried it out. 1/2" chisel in some scrap poplar and the barrel pin that attaches the handle to the machine crumbled. Shit!
Wayne
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:15:07 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

Yeah, I had to replace the one in my Delta with the shank of an old worn out drill bit that was the same size as the hole. This was the only thing that could handle the shear forces trying to mortise 1/2 material - I was doing KD Cherry however, Poplar is pretty soft...
TWS

I was getting ready to toss the box and in the styrofoam packing I saw a small piece of that pin so it was broken upon shipment. For the time being, I have a 1/4" pegboard hook wired in place. It is working for now but it still isn't quite large enough. I hadn't thought about a drill bit but I will have to look through my broken bit box. :-)
Wayne
NoOne N Particular wrote:

What are you doing buying Christmas trees now for? It's not even Thanksgiving.
In my family, we'd put the tree up on Christmas Eve and take it down New Year's Day. Now we don't even do that... just spread around a few poinsettia plants. The Christmas tree became too much like work.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

So Mortimer wrote:

Yeah! And that potty-mouth, too! But seriously, you can fix that pin. Tom Work at your leisure!
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Which is why you put it up early. It takes two weeks to get the stupid thing together and decorated and the Christmas village lights wired onto the power distribution bus and all the lights on the fireplace and the windows and the roof and the chimney and all the inflatible yard things and the blow molds and the plywood cutouts and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the and the....
By the time you're done getting it all up, it's February. That's starting in November.
If you can't relate, be thankful you aren't married to SWMBO. :)
<snip>

Only 2 words to say: "Department 56"
I relate.....
Lou

Hey, it's not me buying the tree. It's my son. I think he is just going whole hog for his daughters first Christmas (she will be almost 10 months old for Christmas). I gotta admit, my grand daughter is soooo cute that she is probably illegal, but I still think he is going overboard. I am wondering how many times he expects to put the tree back up before Christmas. :-)
Wayne
BAH! HUMBUG!

Been there -- a not-too-terrible solution is to get 2'x8' sections of garden lattice (wood or plastic) and build a fence around the tree. The wood stuff will bend to about a 8-10' radius. Paint it if you want but "natchural" wood doesn't look too bad and it will keep the crawlers at bay. When placed in an arc it's pretty stable against cruisers too. In any event it's much much better than pulling a fallen tree with broken glass ornaments off the kid.
hex -30-

Having a teenie weenie is not a gloat.
B.

I DON'T HAVE A TEENIE WEENIE. I DON'T I DON'T I DON'T.
Wayne
NoOne N Particular wrote:

Methinks he doeth protesteth too much.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

I'm just glad my mouth was empty, Buddy! I'da been moppin' up the screen big time.
Dan

Me too - 'cept I paid about twenty bucks more...

1/2"
Me too... Spent a week at the Delta repair shop. I cut a slew of 3/8" mortises after that, but haven't chucked up the 1/2" again. It's an OK mortiser for $100...