technique to joint >X inch wide boards on X inch jointer

other than get bigger jointer ;-)
Its not possible. I've seen some reports of placing a board with shims on an MDF reference board and running it through a planer. The shims are used to level up the board on the reference before running it through the planer. Another approach is to flatten one side with a jointer hand plane.
You've already named the third approach ($$$$).
Bob
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:26:10 -0600, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Do it on a thickness planer, which for many people (including me) is twice the width of my jointer. Unless it's twisted, then it works fine.
--
Smert' spamionam

nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Look at an earlier post on rec.woodworking Subject was: Jointing boards wider than jointer? Look at advice from Doug Winterburn and Phill Pittman.
TWS
thanks for the reference -- that had some good ideas
just thinking though, if I try to joint the 6" of say an 8" board, it seems like I'll have an issue with the unplanned 2" worth sliding over the center portion of the jointer where the cover/fence is attached. That is going to present a high spot. I'll have to go "look" at that one.

--------------- Why not just rip the boards down to a size that will fit on your jointer?
that's what I'd like to avoid.. seems a lot of boards are 7"-9" and I have the 6" jointer. Of course, if I had the 8" jointed, a "lot of boards" would be 8.5" - 10"
funny how that works..
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:22:42 +0100, "gandalf"