technique to joint >X inch wide boards on X inch jointer

other than get bigger jointer ;-)

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

Its not possible. I've seen some reports of placing a board with shims on an MDF reference board and running it through a planer. The shims are used to level up the board on the reference before running it through the planer. Another approach is to flatten one side with a jointer hand plane.

You've already named the third approach ($$$$).

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Do it on a thickness planer, which for many people (including me) is twice the width of my jointer. Unless it's twisted, then it works fine.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Look at an earlier post on rec.woodworking Subject was: Jointing boards wider than jointer? Look at advice from Doug Winterburn and Phill Pittman.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

--------------- Why not just rip the boards down to a size that will fit on your jointer?

Reply to
gandalf

that's what I'd like to avoid.. seems a lot of boards are 7"-9" and I have the 6" jointer. Of course, if I had the 8" jointed, a "lot of boards" would be 8.5" - 10"

funny how that works..

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

thanks for the reference -- that had some good ideas

just th>nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote: >

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout