Teak Oil recommendation

Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it. Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

I doubt if there's anything really special about teak oil - certainly not from a teak tree - so it's probably linseed or some such oil in a different bottle! I reckon you would be better off using a colourless beeswax based polish such as Briwax I think it's named. I expect you'll not oil/wax the chairs so why bother anyway? Buy a plastic cover and some long bungy rubbers!
Geoff

Don't know but we have a few Teak benches at work and the maintenance guy was just 'teak-oiling' them and it smelled just like Linseed Oil to me.
On 2/5/07 13:10, in article snipped-for-privacy@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, "RayV"

I'd recommend Danish Oil - lots of yotties use it for teak decking and it's excellent.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I recently made some teak parts for my daughter's boat and did a search on how to finish. Came accross this product Teakguard, Teak Maintenance Kit (TGK016) at http://www.MarineStore.com . Says that you only need to do once a year so gave it a try. Looks good now but have no idea as to long term results.
I understand that the problem with most outdoor type finishes is that barrier type such as spar varnish succumb to the expansion and contraction due to temp changes and crack and peel off and in general oil type finishes do not protect against UV rays and wood greys. Still to soon to comment on the stuff I used but the sales lit looks good.
Ed
I wonder how many of these teak products come from renewable, managed timber sources and how many from illegal logging of the earth's rainforests ...
wrote:

on it.

it's

Teak Oil is a product based on on tung oil and polymers not teak trees so obviously it does not come from "...renewable, managed timber sources.."
Glad to hear it ...

On Wed, 2 May 2007 RayV wrote:

It *is* linseed oil plus a few other ingredients such as dryers.
David
--
David Rance snipped-for-privacy@rance.org.uk http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Why do you want to put teak oil on your table. Is it for cosmetic reasons or is it because you want to stop the wood from deteriorating. If for the second reason, it would be a waste of effort because putting on teak oil will make no difference at all.
| Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it. | Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks | |
JWBH wrote: > Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it. > Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please?
You can't get there from here.
1) Trying to finish teak is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.
It feels so good when you stop.
2) There is NOTHING associated with teak that is reasonably priced.
The above based on trying to maintain teak on a boat.
Lew
JWBH wrote:

So-called "teak oil" is a sales gimmick. It's just an oil/varnish mix like many others. Probably linseed oil but could be tung oil.
Try Watco Outdoor (or was it Exterior?) Finish. UV protection and easily refinished as needed (every year or two). Just don't believe the square feet covered that's specified on the can (DAMHIKT).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

I have had fairly good luck with Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak finish. Cost about $25 qt. You must carefully follow the directions for prep and apply all the coats specified. Be prepared for heartache. Teak really hates being finished.