Teak for skids.......

I was reading some old posts and someone was talking about mahogany. It reminded me of some time I spent living in Thailand and working in a factory there. I was amazed/damn jealous of the wood they used for shipping pallets/skids. They consider mahogany and teak as utility grade woods. I was thinking..... 'If only my luggage was 8' long, what I could bring back'. I know we can get these species here, but the great patterns looked quite unique. Maybe it's worth having a container shipped back, it's around $2000 to have a container the size of a freight train shipped by boat. Now, only if my garage was big enough to store it.....

Reply to
""Nobody"

Dude, a freight train is usually several miles long, and I don't think anybody makes a container that long. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
""Nobody"

In article , nospam)global.net"

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I'd say most of them are 40'. You don't see that many 20 footers going by these days.

I haven't done any railfanning in a long time, but I'd say those 80' hi-cube deals are still a minority on local rails. 50' boxcars are more common. Most hoppers and gondolas are about 50', unless things have changed dramatically in the last three years.

OK, then I'll change it to "several kilometers" long. :)

Reply to
Silvan