Tapering legs Question....

Greetings All...

I am curently working on a arts and crafts table, and the legs need to be tapered, thick at the bottom and thinner at the top, most of the other tables I have made have been tapered the other way, and on two faces of the leg only, and I was wondering if that would still be the case for the arts and crafts table leg...a taper on on face...or two....or it is really just a matter of personal opinion? Thanks for you thoughts and ideas...

DCH

Reply to
DCH

Although I am by no means an expert, all the A&C furniture I have seen with tapered legs, has the leg set at a 45 degree angle to the table and the taper is on the "inside" of the leg only with the "outside" being perpendicular to the floor. Here's a site with examples.

this helps

-Verne

Reply to
vrhorton

Depends on whether you are trying to build an accurate reproduction of a particular piece or if you trying to build something that pleases you

Reply to
Mike G

There is no "correct way" to taper, only traditional. Personally, I think that legs thick at the bottom would give a strange look to a table. Legs tapered on all sides look a little odd too, but not so uncommon.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I felt the same way as well...that the legs would look odd, making the piece seem heavy, and low slung, but after seeing many arts and crafts pieces, and some with an asian influence I think that the legs combined with a heavy top, will tend to balance each other, the tapers draw the eye up towards the top, and more than likely to the objects on the table...

Thanks for your thoughts...

DCH

Reply to
DCH