Taper jig

Help please,I borrowed a taper jig from my buddy and now im having a hell of a time getting the cut i want.Its a sears store bought type,two bars hinged at the top and a notch at the bottom to hold the stock in place.I realize you should make test cuts but i have made a ton of test cuts and still not getting the exact cut i want.Im always out by the cut starting too soon or not enough at the end.Is there a secret formula on how to use this thing.

Reply to
darrell darcy

Mark the ends of your stock where you want the taper to start and end. Align these marks with the miter slot. Holding the stock in place, with the taper jig against the fence, slide both the taper jig and the fence against the stock. Adjust the taper jig to match the angle of the stocks edge. Once the angle of the jig is set adjust the fence to the proper location to begin the cut.

Hope this makes sense.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

And additionally ... get in the habit of double checking the END of your cut by moving both the stock and jig to the back of the blade, hold both against the fence again, and you can see exactly where the blade is going to come out at the end of the cut.

However, it you are going to cut a lot of tapers, it's much easier if you make yourself a taper sled ... you then can use the edge next to the blade to line up the workpiece precisely.

Reply to
Swingman

What I often do is draw a layout line on the part, then put the gauge & part on the saw table against the fence. Move the fence, gauge, and part, and adjust the taper jig angle, to line up with one side of a miter gauge slot. This will set the angle correctly (since your miter gauge slots are presumably parallel to the blade). Lock the jig angle and move the fence, gauge, & part towards the blade until your cut line matches the layout line, then make your cut. (Sneak up on the cut line as necessary)

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman