Tape Residue Removal

Yes I DAGS but my particular problem was not covered.
I used Blue Macking tape to try and avoid getting glue squeeze out on the surface of the wood. Due to circumstances i would up leaving the tape in place for about two weeks and now have tape residue on the bare wood.
What do you suggest for removal of this residue that will not interfer with the shellac finish I plan to use.

The very first thing I'd try is ethyl alcohol.
--
Regards,

I'd try 1.) a scraper and 2.) mineral spirits Andy
Russ Stanton wrote:
> I used Blue Macking tape to try and avoid getting glue squeeze out on the > surface of the wood. Due to circumstances i would up leaving the tape in > place for about two weeks and now have tape residue on the bare wood. > > What do you suggest for removal of this residue that will not interfer with > the shellac finish I plan to use.
Don't send a boy, I use acetone.
Lew
"Russ Stanton" wrote...

To avoid liquifying the glue with solvent and then rubbing it into the wood, first pick up the glue residue using a rubber cement lift or tape. The adhesive on the tape will stick to the adhesive on the wood and lift it off.
Then, clean the area with xylol (excellent tape adhesive solvent), and then a quick wipe wipe with naphtha for a final degreasing, and you should be fine.
-- Timothy Juvenal www.tjwoodworking.com
I have no idea if this would work, but reading another response that suggested a rubber cement lift gave me this thought. I wonder if a crepe eraser (like you'd use to remove residue from sanding belts & disks) would be efffective?
Lee