Tape Residue Removal

Yes I DAGS but my particular problem was not covered.

I used Blue Macking tape to try and avoid getting glue squeeze out on the surface of the wood. Due to circumstances i would up leaving the tape in place for about two weeks and now have tape residue on the bare wood.

What do you suggest for removal of this residue that will not interfer with the shellac finish I plan to use.

Reply to
Russ Stanton

The very first thing I'd try is ethyl alcohol.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'd try 1.) a scraper and 2.) mineral spirits Andy

Reply to
Andy

Don't send a boy, I use acetone.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

To avoid liquifying the glue with solvent and then rubbing it into the wood, first pick up the glue residue using a rubber cement lift or tape. The adhesive on the tape will stick to the adhesive on the wood and lift it off.

Then, clean the area with xylol (excellent tape adhesive solvent), and then a quick wipe wipe with naphtha for a final degreasing, and you should be fine.

-- Timothy Juvenal

Juvenal

I have no idea if this would work, but reading another response that suggested a rubber cement lift gave me this thought. I wonder if a crepe eraser (like you'd use to remove residue from sanding belts & disks) would be efffective?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon