Tape Measures for woodworking

Fastcap ProCarpenter tapes. Good features, $8, lifetime warranty.

had one die the other day - one call and the replacement arrived 4 days later. No proof of purchase necessary, didn't require me to send the dead one back.

The ProCarpenter Tape Measure is an incredibly innovative tape measure. We have developed this special tape with many innovative features:

- Lever action belt clip

- Pencil sharpener

- Dual locking system

- Erasable notepad

- Heavy-duty 1-inch blade

- High-contrast tape

- Rugged compact design.

Four blade styles available: PMS - The PMS features Metric and standard measurements identifying increments down to 1/16" and millimeter. PSSP - The Story Pole features a blank edge of the blade for writing your notes AND standard measurements on the other edge. PS - The PS features Standard measurements that are readable when the tape is extended from either the right or left hand. PMMR - The Metric/Metric Reverse features metric measurements that are readable when the tape is extended from either the right or left hand. PSSR - The Standard/Standard Reverse features standard measurements that are readable when the tape is extended from either the right or left hand.

RicodJour

What is this dual locking system? I can't find anything about it on their site.

BTW, a pet peeve..... I'm watching their videos.... if you're going to be a woodworker/carpenter/engineer, please for the love of all that is holy and just..... learn that there is no such word as, "heighth."

Reply to
-MIKE-

>> Swingman, which 12 footer did you get. I have the green one I don't know

hit about an hour ago. The Komelon's are smooth operating; hooks work well; nice size and weight for the shop apron; and just a shade off my Stanley's at 73" (less than 1/128"), but that might be because the line weight is lighter (which makes for better interpolation); parallax with camera, HDR application on the cell phone which takes four shots, not too steady hand; plus the edge of the table might have thrown things off a bit:

measuring a piece of wood I noticed no discrepancy other than the Komelon's line was finer which makes for more precision (and indecision for the AR).

I do like the "mm" scale, which is basically what I bought these for. I am concerned about the plastic case ... wondering if they will survive a fall off an eight foot ladder?

I'd say that, for the price, and since they seem to fill my main requirement of jiving with my table saw fence tape as well as having the mm scale, they may get as much use as the Stanleys, particularly when doing Festool work.

Reply to
Swingman

>>> Swingman, which 12 footer did you get. I have the green one I don't know

> UPS hit about an hour ago. The Komelon's are smooth operating; hooks

> When measuring a piece of wood I noticed no discrepancy other than the

I compared the hook on my Kamelon with a Stanley and a Lee Valley. The last two have a nearly right angle with grooves across the inside. The K has a incurve at the edge which might help preventing a slip-off. I have not used it enough to tell. Also the hook has a reinforcement on the underside of the tape. This should make the end of the tape more rigid. The last Stanley I had to fail split at the end.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

It isn't metric at all. Mike was just caught dishing out his usual bullshit again and is trying to backpeddle.

If it were a mis-measurement, sure, but in this case it isn't a mistake, it's a deliberate compensation.

It's the _correct_ measurement for laying out so that the span will work correctly for 8-ft sheets, a most common dimension for sheathing, subflooring, etc., etc., etc.

If the truss/rafter/joist system is adequate on 19.67" centers, it's certainly adequate on a _closer_ spacing since that shortens the distance between them and thereby decreases the deflections, etc. from what would be (a few percent at most so not enough to make any practical difference, but it _is_ the conservative direction).

Reply to
Josepi

Yet, dipshit Josepi never has any fact to back up his claims. You sure have quite a hard-on for me, sugar.

Reply to
-MIKE-

$5.88 plus tax. No 32nd marks, so far I love it. JP

Reply to
JayPique

I treat you exactly the same as you to me. Somebody needs to show you a reflection of your arrogance. In fact I have learned the attitude from you, sweetpants.

Reply to
Josepi

Reply to
Pat Barber