Tape Measures for woodworking

Page 2 of 4
On 10/30/11 4:34 PM, Swingman wrote:

They had some at HD on sale pretty cheap. At the time I was looking for a replacement to my tried and true Stanley Leverlock and was impressed with the Komelon's self locking mechanism, albeit not as intuitive as Stanley's. However, I was trying to buy made-in-the-USA, so I didn't get it.
--

-MIKE-

I'm glad your's has both inches and mm. Mine has just inches. You let me know afterwards.
On 10/30/2011 5:34 PM, Swingman wrote:

I always tell the women, in mm., but tell them it's inches.
------------ "tiredofspam" wrote in message
I'm glad your's has both inches and mm. Mine has just inches. You let me know afterwards.
On 10/30/2011 4:34 PM, Swingman wrote:

IIRC Rockler has that brand tape measure too.
Swingman, which 12 footer did you get. I have the green one I don't know if my number matches. but on Amazon it looks like it might be SL2812
I see they have a yellow SL2912...
I didn't see where either said MM...Although the SL2912 looks like the tape is marked with fractions.
Either way, I think you'll find using this tape is much nicer than others. I use a sharpie fine point red to mark my mark... Alcohol cleans it off nicely.
On 10/30/2011 1:05 PM, Swingman wrote:

On 10/30/2011 7:43 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

This is the one I ordered:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Now I will have 2 25'imperial sort of tape measure, 1 pure metric one (from Dad), and this new one to rule them all!!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/31/2011 1:56 PM, Swingman wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 10/31/2011 8:40 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

UPS hit about an hour ago. The Komelon's are smooth operating; hooks work well; nice size and weight for the shop apron; and just a shade off my Stanley's at 73" (less than 1/128"), but that might be because the line weight is lighter (which makes for better interpolation); parallax with camera, HDR application on the cell phone which takes four shots, not too steady hand; plus the edge of the table might have thrown things off a bit:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/November12011?authkey=Gv1sRgCKL1u5qN0If_fQ#5670099690119697794
When measuring a piece of wood I noticed no discrepancy other than the Komelon's line was finer which makes for more precision (and indecision for the AR).
I do like the "mm" scale, which is basically what I bought these for. I am concerned about the plastic case ... wondering if they will survive a fall off an eight foot ladder?
I'd say that, for the price, and since they seem to fill my main requirement of jiving with my table saw fence tape as well as having the mm scale, they may get as much use as the Stanleys, particularly when doing Festool work.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/November12011?authkey=Gv1sRgCKL1u5qN0If_fQ#5670099690119697794
I compared the hook on my Kamelon with a Stanley and a Lee Valley. The last two have a nearly right angle with grooves across the inside. The K has a incurve at the edge which might help preventing a slip-off. I have not used it enough to tell. Also the hook has a reinforcement on the underside of the tape. This should make the end of the tape more rigid. The last Stanley I had to fail split at the end.
--
Gerald Ross

Afraid of heights? Not me, I'm afraid
On Oct 31, 9:40pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

That tape was only $6 at Lowe's today. I bought the 16 footer for $5.88 plus tax. No 32nd marks, so far I love it. JP

You REALLY need to see and use the "acuratape" Lighted magnified "vernier". A bit of a rare item in Canada in that it is "imperial only" Has a pencil clip for accurate marking - as well as a retractable marking "pin". Also has magnetic tab.
see: http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Tools/Hand-Tools/Carpenter/Measuring/Tape-Measures/TAPE-MEASURE-1X25-ACURA-SLF-MRKG/_/R-I1048330
On 10/28/2011 6:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Tools/Hand-Tools/Carpenter/Measuring/Tape-Measures/TAPE-MEASURE-1X25-ACURA-SLF-MRKG/_/R-I1048330
Cool ... looks like it could run apps like an iPhone! ;)
Won't be long before Siri is incorporated into tape measures.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Tools/Hand-Tools/Carpenter/Measuring/Tape-Measures/TAPE-MEASURE-1X25-ACURA-SLF-MRKG/_/R-I1048330
Another triumph of Canadian technology? Fortunately there's no Diefanbaker to kill it.
Somebody had to set policy for the Liberal party.
Trudeau was the only one that could make the Diefenbuck real.
------------ "J. Clarke" wrote in message
Another triumph of Canadian technology? Fortunately there's no Diefanbaker to kill it.
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:11:42 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Here's another triumph of Canadian technology, for those who don't know whether to use metric or imperial:     http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pe359&cat=1,43513
--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net
On 10/27/2011 7:07 PM, JayPique wrote:

My favorite is the one I can find at the moment I need it, which I guess says something about my shopkeeping habits. I have about six tape measures, and most of them came with an undocumented feature -- tiny legs that emerge when I set it down and a high speed motor that takes zips it to an entirely different location.
Larry
On 10/28/2011 2:47 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Damn, you buy the same brand I do!

You must have the "Dixon Ticonderoga" brand tape measures... JP
On 10/28/2011 4:09 PM, JayPique wrote:

SWMBO and the kids all have the bad habit of walking off with my pencils. Finally, I bought another box and hid them. I'm 5" taller than SWMBO; additionally, my arms are unusually long, and hers unusually short, so it's not too hard to put things where I can reach them and she can't. In this case, she can't even *see* them... The kids can, but after I turned them on to turning pens and pencils on the lathe, they kinda prefer using their own. Which is just fine with me.