Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

You're right about .375. How about something like 51/136 ?

Reply to
lwasserm

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote in news:_62dnTjEZoLFU6bYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@charm.net:

I did have to think hard. Divide numerator and deniminator by a certain prime number, and voila, what do you get?

Reply to
Han

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is with reading rules and tape measures. Wouldn't 5 minutes with a guy who can't do it fix the problem? If it doesn't, why not set him to stacking lumber or carrying shingles until he learns, or just can him? Way I see it, if a guy can't read a tape measure, he has no business putting up a building. That's Framing 101, IMO.

As far as your initial comment goes, that's fine enough. I've worked with crews that use the same method. But personally, I've always felt that things hould be as accurate as possible for the long-term duribility of the building. Never liked 1/16" gaps all over- seems like years of shaking in heavy winds and storms would weaken things considerably, as well as allowing crap to collect in the joints and speed up the fasteners' corrosion.

Reply to
Prometheus

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote in news:1161539089.540990.280170 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

It's very clear when you're looking for the simplest form that there's more than one way to represent a quantity. That may be why it's common to do that.

What they don't teach (and should) is that sometimes in the real world it's easier to leave the fraction unreduced and work with it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Sorry, can't teach that. Teaching something supplies the knowledge, but learning when or how to apply that knowledge requires participation.

Reply to
George

Yes, that was my point. For comparison, it is much easier to work with a common denominator. Driving it home to _always_ reduce fractions whether useful or not is the part I question.

This is also an advantage to using binary fractions instead of decimal. It is easier to chose a base unit appropriate to the work being done.

For fine cabinetry 1 mm is too course and its too fine for framing. 1/32" may be about right for cabinetry and 1/64" surely is. For masonry and framing 1/8" may be about right.

You can measure or round to the nearest 2 mm or 3 mm, but the tape or rule isn't likely to have extra long ticks every 3 mm. No doubt the guys who have been using SI for construction all their lives handle it fine, but I'm far from convinced that it is better than binary fractions.

Reply to
fredfighter

"George" wrote in news:XGl%g.7711$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net:

You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh, story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8" thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Adding a border around the edge of a board does not change it's thickness.

If three frogs are sitting on a log and one of them takes a notion to jump off, how many frogs are left on the log?

Reply to
fredfighter

One. The other one is right on the log.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

3

Reply to
CW

But you can't "fail" them if they don't do the work.

In truth, though, I had more than a few who picked up their basic concept of fractions a few years late in IA class. Little Physics and Chemistry, too. Didn't have to listen to those whining "what are we ever gonna use this for?"

Reply to
George

Correct.

One frog took a a notion to jump off, he didn't actually do it.

I'm taking a notion to get back to work now...

Reply to
fredfighter

:)

Reply to
CW

The quesetion can't really be answered with the information provided. WE know that three frogs were sitting on the log to start, but the question asks, how many are left on the log? Since we aren't told how many frogs are on the log that are NOT sitting, the question cannot be answered.

Reply to
lwasserm

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote in news:U5ydnXVtR_fVut3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@charm.net:

Actually, I took it to mean:

3 frogs

------- (a)log

and it's still missing a crucial piece of information!

Also, these are obviously not Shrodinger's frogs, as you've already observed them and determined their value.

:-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote: Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one

33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a better one.
Reply to
Darian O Cork

Try US Tape /Protape engineers tapes. or the p2000 series Lufkin, (or any Lufkin engineer's tape) - or thr Starret Exact Plus line.

The secret is to look for an "engineer's tape"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

... just make your own ! :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

"The only measurement system that's exactly as accurate as you are."

Priceless!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nope, it's priced. But don't believe the $7.50, when you click that you get taken to the real page, where it costs $8.95.

Elijah

------ now, a wide tape measure with a blank area for story marks ...

Reply to
Eli the Bearded