Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

Page 1 of 2
I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch. I can't find that. The reason I am interested is that that would allow me to use english units and not have to screw around with fractions. THAT is my major concern. I don't care if the standard is metric or english, I just don't want to have to deal with fractions. For someone that is not working with the larger measurements such as meters and kilometers, that would solve most of the problems. I can get micrometers, dial indicators and scales in tenths, albeit not in a good variety.
I found that Lee Valley has a tape in tenths and it is OK, but I would rather have one from Fastcap. they have nice, high quality, durable products. Lee Valley has a left to right and a right to left reading tape, but you have to buy both. Fastcap usually has several features like this in one tape.
eganders wrote:

Then you haven't looked much...first look (Lufkin) found for a partial listing...
LFK2312D     12' x 3/4'' Feet, Inches, 10ths     Each     $15.49 LFKHV1425D     25' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths     Each     $16.49 LFK2325D     25' x 3/4'' Feet, 10ths      Each     $20.95 LFK2133D     33' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths     Each     $24.49 LFKHV1325D     25' x 1'' Feet, 10ths      Each     $15.49 LFKHV1034DM     4M/13' Metric, 10ths      Each     $10.95 LFKHV1048DM     8M/26' Metric, 10ths      Each     $16.49 LFKHV1433DM     10M/33' Metric, 10ths     Each     $18.49
Dual-scale, centering, adhesive or other are undoubtedly somewhat less common but can't imagine there's hardly anything you can think of that isn't available...
dpb wrote:

Hey, What can I say. I have no excuse, but this is why I love newsgroups.

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12 1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.
wrote in message

wrote in message

I work to the nearest 1/8. A helper does the cutting so I call out 12 4 and they cut it. Many helpers don't understand fractions or tape measures. I would love to have a tape marked in 8ths. Maybe I could switch to tenths. I think I'll buy a couple and see.
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:05:39 -0700, "Pat"

You have helpers that can't understand 3/8 vs. 3/4? <G>

Jim
Pat,
I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7" or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals in extreme situations.
I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.
______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net
wrote in message

Yes, indeed (grew up in Holland, but here in the US since '69). I always have to mentally translate 1/8" into ~3 mm. That visualizes much easier.
--
Best regards
Han

DanG wrote:

This was a common practice among molding, dado and plough plane makers. A #4 dado would be 1/2" wide, for example.
I'm not clear on why it became customary in school to always reduce fractions (is 'reduce' the right term?)
--

FF

Realize that folding rules and tape measures have been made for years marked in tenths -- they are primarily used for engineering and surveying applications

Using 1/16ths is still common for auger bits. I think they teach "least common denominators" just to make the concept more intuitive for kids. 375/1000 doesn't just jump right out at you as a recognizable fraction.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote in

It just depends where you grew up. 0.375 is much more recognizable to me than 3/8.
Just a my view. Originally Dutch, I moved to the US in 1969, when I was almost 23.
Now very happy in Radburn <radburn.org>
--
Best regards
Han

You're right about .375. How about something like 51/136 ?
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote in

prime number, and voila, what do you get?
--
Best regards
Han

*snip*
It's very clear when you're looking for the simplest form that there's more than one way to represent a quantity. That may be why it's common to do that.
What they don't teach (and should) is that sometimes in the real world it's easier to leave the fraction unreduced and work with it.
Puckdropper

wrote in news:1161539089.540990.280170

Sorry, can't teach that. Teaching something supplies the knowledge, but learning when or how to apply that knowledge requires participation.