Tape measure deals

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:13:26 -0600, Steve Barker

I still have at least 2. Somewhere.
On 2/13/2012 6:48 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

When the longest one they made was 16' and it was still good economics to replace the tape blades. Once they went plastic, it was easier to buy the whole guts (spring and tape in a cartridge), now I just toss them. I do keep the tape if it is pristine to replace one that somebody steps on or nicks with a blade or snips.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On 2/12/2012 4:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Now if only it comes in a 12' version.
FastCap makes what you would want too.
On 2/13/2012 7:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes, that is what I want in a tape. My favorite is a Stanley 33-312, a 12 footer. Before that I had a 10 footer that I lost or broke. My only complaint about the Stanley is it has 1/32 marks on the first 12 inches on one side. I don't need no stinking 1/32 markings on either side.
> Now if only it comes in a 12' version. > FastCap makes what you would want too.
Recently, I bought a FastCap ProCarpenter 16' Old Standby on a recommendation from some on this rec. Nope, don't like it. First, it is 16', the smallest they had, and it's a bit too big for my cabinet work, I like 12' or less. The return spring is a bit too powerful for my tastes, the Stanley's have better feel, imo. I have cheap tapes from the $1 barrel bin that have better feeling spring than the Fastcap.
The main issue though is the markings. The damned thing has 1/32 markings on BOTH sides of the tape for the first 12". I HATE 1/32" markings, don't use them, don't need them, don't want them. At least my Stanely has those only on *one* side of the first 12". If the Fastcap had *only* 1/16" markings, and a slightly weaker spring, and was 12', I'd say it was good tape for my shop.
I guess I should say what I like about the Fastcap, I like the rubber shell. The pencil sharpener would be good out of my shop, the duel locks is nice, the robust, 4 rivet front tab is excellent, and over all, it feels durable. I would like it for carpentry work outside. In my cabinet shop, where I don't need 16", nor 1/32" markings, not so much.
--
Jack
On 2/13/2012 10:25 AM, Jack wrote:

After working with non retractable measures for the past 6 weeks, almost exclusively except for when I needed to measure more than 48" I have almost given up on tape measures. Too inconsistent and finicky.
I probably have 5 FastCap measures. IMHO they are as good asthe next measure. I too would like to see a smaller tape measure, 12' would be nice. I tried a http://www.komelonusa.com/products.asp?dvn=1&cat=1&sct=2&product_id 1, but it failed the accuracy measure test before I used it. It was out 1/32" within 37" I still need to exchange or return it to Rockler.
I Fast Cap I prefer the green lefty/righty / measure in imperial.
Nothing like being tied up in a knot with a tape measure, balancing off the side of a ladder, and only one hand to operate the tape measure extended past it's normal holding strength only to find the metric on the side you need to get that 1/32" accuracy for that crown moulding cut.
Double measurement tapes should be banned as they are so hard too hide in the garbage can after the wrapping paper is ripped off the gift from a well meaning friend. You keep it around and sooner or later you will pick it up with many regrets.
--------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Hey All:
I don't know how many of you are like me, but I hate all of the tape measures on the market today. I don't want metric on one edge with SAE on the other. I want SAE on both edges of the tape. I don't think or measure in metric increments, so I don't want that taking up valuable space on my tape. I hate it if I have to move my tape to mark a measurement, just because there is some irrelevant markings along the edge I happened to drag for marking.
Likewise - i can read a tape measure. I don't want and I don't like the clutter of the new generation of idiot proof tapes that actually label 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, etc. for those that don't know how to read the simple marks on a tape.
So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just 1/16" ticks on both edges of the tape. No idiot stuff, no metric stuff. Fits your hand nice, has a really nice positive lock that locks and unlocks easily holds the tape firmly. The best part - only 7 bucks and change! Hell - I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on a give away tape...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net