tambour doors. How to?

Page 3 of 4
Han wrote:

Rollers
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Put up a link to this picture so we can make comments on it, or post it to ABPW.

Need more information. Such as, how big is this cabinet that the TV is going to sit in or on? Will there be open spaces on either sides of the TV? Just off hand, I'm thinking about folding doors that fold right around the exterior sides of the cabinet. Hardware exists for just this purpose. I've seen similar cabinets that use this method and they've looked fairly decent and operated very smoothly. The downside to such a construction is that you'll need that mostly dead space around those exterior sides and eventually as I've suggested previouwsly, it might become inconvenient to open and close them on a regular basis.
And a question about these sliding doors you're thinking about. If it incorporates tracks at the bottom then they might look a little ugly in my opinion if they're open to view. Consider how you might hide lower tracks. If you just go with the doors hanging down from an upper sliding track, (which is easy to hide) then it's usually advisable to use some sort of guides at the bottom so the doors don't sway at all.
The best advise I can offer to you is to go window shopping for the exact type of cabinet and doors you'd like to buy if you had an unlimited imaginary budget. If you can't then figure out the best method for you to build it yourself, post some pictures of it to ABPW and someone will tell you how to construct it. On the off chance that you get some sales person objecting to you taking pictures of their furniture, just explain that you're going to show them to the rest of your family. Essentially, that will be true since we're all part of your extended woodworking family. <g>

A solution to the size and weight would be rail and stile door frames with panel inserts. If you feel that +/- 48" high inserts are still likely to warp, then break them up with additional rails. Another thing to consider with doors that high is where are they going to roll to so the TV is fully viewable? It occurs to me that they might roll in front of some inset side cabinets. Done properly, open or closed, they can look very nice and natural.

I just finished planing a bunch of cherry to build this thing for a client. The corner joints will be different as will the vertical sides. (A slight taper towards the bottom.) The back is hollow, built like a torsion box with raceways for cabling and the whole thing comes apart for ease of shipment. When installed, there will be no visible wiring. I have orders for 6 of these once the prototype (this one is for a 60" plasma) is approved. I am now trying to find some decent grommets.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/TuToneAV.jpg

Nice. I like it. It's a nice backdrop, almost like a stage curtain. I could see it in some QS and highly figured anigre, with an dark amber honey stain. Or in your case, Sarnian Dark Amber 100% Maple Syrup stain. Tasty, no? ;)
Robatoy wrote:

Nice! What are you planning to use for the horizontal surfaces?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I use a variety of these when I'm doing my leatherwork. Not sure how well they'd work with cabling. You might need a heavier, commercial type grommet. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/site+search+results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=grommets
wrote in message

Thanks, dadiOH, Rob and Upscale. (what are your real names, btw? Never regstereed in my addled brain, sorry).
The picture I showed Afina is this, from Rockler: http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?offerings_id "80&r=3
Mine would be similar ...
--
Best regards
Han

That makes it easy for you. Four rails on each door so they're unlikely to warp at all. The doors appear to be hinged and when they're open, they're covering the bookshelves exactly. The only concern you'd have in construction is making the backside of those doors as finished as the front if they're hinged doors. If you went with sliding doors, then fully finishing the back of them is not nearly as important.

Sorry, missed it at first. They're sliding doors. But, you *could* go with 180 degree hinges and just make them so they swing to cover the bookshelves. Just a thought to simplify things.
wrote in message

Good thought, and ~22" of swing isn't too much into the room.
--
Best regards
Han

just have to make them as pretty from the back as the front.
You do realize, of course, that this would compromise your ability to read and watch television at the same time.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

You're making the same mistake I made. They're sliding doors, not hinged doors.

Check out some of the built-ins made for Murphy beds. They have some similar sliding doors that have to have a similarly wide opening. Maybe give you some more ideas.
Han wrote:

Richard
--

dadiOH

Dave

Thanks, Dave & Richard!!
--
Best regards
Han

I was more thinking of these types. I know Lee Valley has some, Doug Mockett has a lot of very nice cabling solutions, all of them expensive. Mockett is one of the more interesting companies. http://tinyurl.com/6prftn

Yeah, for some reason, I was thinking of grommets for running wire cable, not data cable. ~ Not at all what you were talking about. BTW, thanks for the Mockett link. He's got some very nice stuff.