tambour doors. How to?

Page 2 of 4

Find a guy with a cnc and have him cut some spirals for the top and bottom to guide the tambour as you roll it sideways, If he cuts those tracks/spirals out of High-density polyethylene (HDPE), they're self lubricating and easy to cut. Instead of spiraling into a coil, you can have the tambour go in behind the TV.

I'll keep that in mind!! :)
--
Best regards
Han

Looking into that, the problem (or is it not a problem?) is that the doors are to be wider than the depth of the cabinet. Can you have double bifold doors that swivel and can be pushed in like a pocket door/flipper door?
--
Best regards
Han

When you say double bifold, if you mean a pair of bifolds - four leaves in two pairs, with one pair on each side, yes, absolutely. Very common.
Han wrote:

sure. hinge them in the middle. to operate, swing the entire door outwards, swing the outside half in, then shove the door into the cabinet.
what's on the other side of the wall? perhaps you can just put the entire door/tv/stand on a swivel and rotate it.
Ironic how my TV was bragged to be 1.2" thick and yet a mount will hold it 6-8" off the wall and a cabinet will make it 12-16" deep again.
You may find the doors will never get closed, anyway, except for drunken parties.
sure. hinge them in the middle. to operate, swing the entire door outwards, swing the outside half in, then shove the door into the cabinet.
what's on the other side of the wall? perhaps you can just put the entire door/tv/stand on a swivel and rotate it.

Additional info: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Doors_for_a_Wide_Entertainment_Center.html
wrote in news:

Thanks! Now I know what to do. Better half will have to make the final decision ...
--
Best regards
Han

That's fine as long as you get to hang on to the remote.
wrote innews:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Doors_for_a_Wide_Entertainment_Center .html
What do you know about penis envy? (help!!!)
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/2/2011 7:57 PM, Han wrote:

When I built some tambour door appliance garages a couple of years ago all internet roads led back to Rockler for just about everything.
If you want to buy ready made, IIRC, 50" widths were readily available.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

For sure ready made is the way to go here. All kinds of woods, shapes...and lower cost than what you'd expect. I have made canvas backed tambours... it's not that easy. The strips like to stick to each other when gluing up the panels... a little wax on the sides of the strips helps that.

Thanks, Karl and Rob. Great info!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Barrister?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

?
Why would he need a lawyer to do a little woodworking? Do you work for SawStop?

TV is too high. Or I would need upper and lower barrister doors. Otherwise a good idea. I'm still torn between a roll-up tambour and a double set of bifold flipper doors (2 doors, each bifold).
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/3/2011 3:10 PM, Han wrote:

I've done both and if I had my druthers I would personally rather got the tambour route, the deciding factor being a greater chance of future trouble free operation, and the satisfying feel of a tambour job well done.
While both can have their frustrating installation issues, my experience is there is far less mechanical frustration down the road with a traditional tambour installation ... although tambour may be just a bit more involved upfront, it is the kind of involvement that requires common woodworking skills (routing, ect), not mechanical skills.
Flipper doors can be a bitch during installation with the necessity for 'follow strips' and the fussy nature of the hardware.
Just my experience/tuppence ... YMMV
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Thanks Karl and DadiOH.
I'll let everyone know what spouse and I decide on.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm conflicted here. Tambour doors can look good, but he's dealing with a large TV. Considering the TV size, tambour slats can warp, look uneven or just appear overwhelming in appearance. If he can buy them premade then possibly they might work out, but that's just a maybe. Cutting your own with a TV this big is going to be a lot of work, a lot of sawdust and I suspect, a lot of aggravation and swearing. I think tambour doors are not as stylish now as they used to be.
Folding and pocket doors can look good in almost any size. Yes, they can be a bitch to adjust, but much of that is dependent on the quality of the hardware.
I'd suggest that down the road, both of these methods would be a waste because the tendency would be to leave tambour or bifold doors open most of the time because of the aggravation of opening and closing them several times a day. These doors, however they're constructed will likely look good when company is over, but that's the only benefit to them in my opinion. I went through a very similar phase with 46" TV and my articulating wall mount I bought from Lee Valley Tools. Within a few months, I got tired of pulling the TV out and angling it for my preferred sitting location. Now it sits inserted in its slot and I watch it as it is. http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pY991&cat=3,43597,43601,60167,59991
wrote in message

3,43597,43601,60167,59991>
I am not really rushing to a decision, and appreciate your comments. Right now we are indeed leaning away from both a huge tambour and from pocket doors.
I showed Afina a picture of an entertainment center with huge sliding doors, and she is somewhat enamored of that approach. In fact, I am too.
Now how to make sliding doors with an oak veneer that are light and sturdy and won't warp. 2 doors each 48" high and 22-24" wide ... Seems to me that 3/4" plywood is too heavy and thinner plywood might too easily warp or get damaged. Or ... ??
--
Best regards
Han