Tambour closet doors

Is it possible to construct tambour closet doors using "half-round" mouldings { or a "flat-style" ( and cloth backing )...? The closet currently has tandem sliders which I can't stand. Tha closet measurements are: 96" width ( door opening ) x 84" height ( door height ) x 24" depth. My thought is to have door(s) open like a curtain and the "roll-top" action ( occurring horizontally or side-to-side ) would take the doors to the back when opened. I found a site that manufactures a 96" x 48" panel in a plastic { yechh! ) laminate... but they have a $750.00 minimum. Any suggestions as to slat width and track radius ( at corners ) would also be welcome

Reply to
Jessica

If the closet is only 24 inches deep where is the other half of each 48 inch wide door going to go?

Reply to
JMWEBER987

I'd be concerned that the weight of the door will make it difficult to open or close unless you have very good bottom bearing surfaces. UHMW plastic on the slat ends comes to mind. But even if you do that any debris that gets in the track will cause problems and since you're opening a 48" panel with 24" of closet depth half of it will be around the back of the closet, presumably not always easily accessed for cleaning or problem resolution.

I'd like one also but won't do it until you have completed the experiment and tell me it works well. ;-)

I have an 8 ft wide closet in a guest bedroom that I used 8, 1 ft wide doors on. The center is stationary and four doors on either side move in pairs of two, accordion fashion.

RB

Jessica wrote:

Reply to
RB

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:32:22 GMT, Jessica brought forth from the murky depths:

Do a google search of this newsgroup (for "tambour") and you'll find all sorts of discourse on the subject.

You'll also have to figure out how to get tambour doors past the shelf, unless that's a shelfless closet.

============================================================== Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You are correct in believing that doors would wrap to rear of closet ( two (2) 90 degree bends or one continuous " U - shaped " bend to carry doors from front "closed " position to the back wall " open position " The thought that came to my mind was to have a " lead-slat " at each end of each panel with a roller ( against the bearing surface ) in one of the PVC flush-mount tracks that are available...?! UHMW plastic?? Is this like the solid Teflon material ( I believe a Teflon - impregnated nylon)?? As for Keeping the track clean; the doors are to be used in/on a closet where everything hangs from closet-rod(s) ( except shoes, perhaps ;) ) so to slide the clothes aside (they're not touching floor, anyway) and vacuum regularly wouldn't be a hassle...!? Admittedly, they'd be heavy doors... Any recommendations as to a " backer " ( other than cloth ) that might help prevent sag & / or warp / twist...?? Although your door does sounds like it would be very pretty and functional for your situation, there is no room to allow doors to open into room or closet (accordion - style) in my case Thanks for your thoughts

RB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spamfree.com:

Reply to
Jessica

I haven't looked at Outwater Plastics but they might have components that you'd find useful.

high molecular weight plastic. Teflon is an example, highly polymerized polyethylene is another. Any fairly dense plastic that is very rigid yet "slippery."

As for Keeping the track clean; the doors are to be used in/on a closet

I'd look for a backer that was dimensionally stable. Something that doesn't stretch. Fiberglass cloth might be a consideration. Kevlar would be worth investigating.

I looked in our closet today, this 12 x 15 ft closet (which gets vacuumed frequently) was filled with feathers from several birds (the cats have been deprived during the winter.) I'd like to subdivide the closet into smaller spaces (hence the interest in tambour doors) to preserve my space. However, those feathers would sure mess up a tambour door.

RB

Reply to
RB