tamarack flooring

hey fellas, i have decided to put in a new floor in my living room and bedrooms using tamarack, now my question is, could anybody tell me is between 6 & 8 % moisture decent enough drying for flooring. i have a lot of homework to do on this , as this will be my first fooring (wood) project to undertake. thanks and an input on flooring would be appreciated . fred

Reply to
fred

I'd be surprised if the rest of your house was dryer than that. Stick your moisture meter into, say, some existing framing & see what the house's equilibrium is at, and then use the flooring when they're the same.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

hey fellas, i posted this an hour ago but didnt make it ,not sure why.....Anyway i think i have decided to do my livingroom floor using tamarack, i have never put in a wood floor and am about to start my home work on it. the supplier of this tamarack says its kilned to

6 to 8%, is that plenty dry for flooring if so any help anyone can offer will be extremely appreciated. thanks fred
Reply to
fred

RB notes:

sensible to me for those who want a hard copy to check out Lee Valley, where their version is $29.95 (and well worth it, I think: It has been repaginated so you can find things more easily--the original sectioning is a PITA IMO). And it does not seem to be much used for flooring, but with narrow growth rings and good strength, the only real worry is abrasion resistance. In a world where white pine has recently jumped in popularity for flooring use, at least a few people aren't too worried about long term wear. Having said that, I once lived in an old Hudson Valley farmhouse (built in 1839) with white pine floors. By the time I got there, they were 140 or so years old. Wear was visible, but they looked quite good anyway.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

I have the Lee Valley offering; and also have the free version on a biz-card CD as a much more portable reference.

Somehow is seems wasteful to pay Amazon US$60 for a publication that's available for downloading from

's other good information there, too.)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Charlie Self schreef

Valley, where their version is $29.95 (and well worth it, I think: It has been repaginated so you can find things more easily--the original sectioning is a PITA IMO).

  • + + $ 22.95 in US money
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel