tamarack flooring

hey everyone , i have the oportunity to purchase some tamarack for my living room floor , as i m not real fond of laminate flooring i have decided to go tounge and groove real wood , anyway , i would appreciate some comments on what you all think or have heard of this wood as a flooring material ,good and bad, also how dry should it be before i would lay it, if i do. thanks fred

Reply to
fred

Quality and orientation of the grain count. Tamarack makes incredible growth for the first twenty or so years as a colonizer, and that would make for some truly uneven surfaces when it begins to wear. If you get some close-grown, it's about like SYP.

It should be as dry as the wood in the room it is laid.

Reply to
George

Hey Fred,

People around here (Ontario), use it quite often in barns, around livestock. It's tough and incredibly hard, when dry. In my area, it seems to be slower growth, compared to other local coniferous, pine/cedar/balsam. (or is it deciduous, it totally sheds it's needles during winter)

Anyhow, if used, apparently you could stable livestock in your living room without fear of it prematuring wearing out, or someone chewing though it. :)

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya

I used some tamarack in my floor to fill out some doug fir flooring that I made from a blow down. The tamarack is indistinguishable from the fir. Like fir it is a soft wood and dents easily. It was used as a poor man's flooring here in the PacNW. I like it. Finished with Street Shoe.

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Mike