talk about working with wood

found a hive the size of a basketball behind my house
http://community.webtv.net/Boun04/doc
Abandonn'e Bambini wrote:

SPAM, don't bother checking it out.
says...

IF( MESSAGE ID CONTAINS "WEBTV" ) THEN DEPOSIT IN TRASH ELSE READ ENDIF
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

You still using GBASIC (or XBase)? Get with the new languages, man. For example, try some Java with a pure Object Oriented approach. Just look at how much easier to read and understand this "modern" code is....
public interface IMessageStrategy {
public void processMessage( Message msg ) throws MessagingException; }
public class ReadableMessageStategy implements IMessageStrategy {
private IMessageReader _reader;
public ReadableMessageStrategy( IMessageReader reader ) { _reader = reader; }
public void processMessage( Message msg ) throws MessagingException { _reader.read( msg ); } }
public class UndesirableMessageStrategy implements IMessageStrategy {
private ITrash _trash;
public UndesirableMessageStrategy ( ITrash trash ) { _trash = trash; }
public void processMessage( Message msg ) throws MessagingException { _trash.throwAway( msg ); } }
public class NewsGroupSystem {
protected static List UNDESIRABLE_TEXT; static { UNDESIRABLE_TEXT = new ArrayList(); UNDESIRABLE_TEXT.add( "WEBTV" ); }
private ITrash _trash = new OSTrash(); private IMessageReader _reader = new NewsGroupReader();
protected IMessageStategy getProcessingStrategy( Message msg ){ if ( msg.getID().containsAnyTextFrom( UNDESIRABLE_TEXT ) { return new UndesirableMessageStrategy( _trash ); } else { return new ReadableMessageStrategy( _reader ); } }
public void handleMessage( Message msg ) { try { getProcessingStrategy( msg ).processMessage( msg ); } catch ( MessagingException e ) { AlertUser( e.getMessage() ); } } }
/rick.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:37:11 -0400, RickS <> wrote:

Looks like LBasic, actually ;)

You know, people ask me why I stopped being a code-monkey. Thanks for reminding me.
Dave "Scary thing is, your example may very well run" Hinz
wrote...

So how to I implement the 'JOAT exception' case? ;-)
Patriarch
In Applescript:
tell app "YourNewsreader" repeat with i from one to count of unread messages if field "NNTP-Posting-Host" contains "webtv.com" and field "From" does not contain "Jakofalltrades" then kill message 1 end repeat end tell
djb

Oops. That should be
kill message i
--at-- comcast.net> says...

Actually, that was made up, but IIRC, it bears a strong resemblance to Ratfor.

<large snip>
I love it! I'm still chuckling :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

RickS wrote:
[snip] catch ( MessagingException e ) {

Real men code in assembler. ;-)     mahalo,     jo4hn (aka Mr.Verdan)

I'd like to register a shift in the thread please.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Multi-threading is of questionable value here. It should be written in microcode and executed as a single op to ensure atomicity regardles of the language used. ;->
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Dave Hinz wrote:

Shift to the left, shift to the right, pop up, push down, byte, byte BYTE!
rah.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:46:08 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Oh, so that's how you do it... Go begging on usenet. Okay, I'd love a new bandsaw, Santa!
Re: talk about working with wood Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sun, Jul 25, 2004, 9:59pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospamcox.net (RichardA.) Abandonn'e Bambini wrote: found a hive the size of a basketball behind my house http://community.webtv.net/Boun04/doc SPAM, don't bother checking it out.
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:45:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Abandonn'e Bambini) wrote:
Hey dickhead, if you want to support the kids go out and get a job instead of panhandling here......