Tales of the unkept shop...

Got to agree. I'm a slob but with about 100 sq ft to deal with and a saw, scroll saw, miter saw, disc/belt sander, drill press, and a grinder (all bench top models) plus assorted tailed/cordless hand tools plus some neander models of stuff, there really isn't much choice but to keep it fairly well clean. SWMBO keeps complaining about me not doing the same upstairs in the living space.
Scratch Ankle Wood wrote:

Hmmm... This sounds like a survey. Since my shop ain't unkempt any more, I have to steer this thread in a new direction in order to continue to enjoy ownership rights. :)
So my shop is around 10'x12' which is a whopping 120 sq ft.
Going in, on the left, I have a trash can nook, a workbench that's ~ 4' long and ~ 3' deep with a couple of jig saws, an orbital sander, an electric drill, a circular saw and a Dremel stashed underneath. Next up is a 15" Craftsman drill press that's really too heavy for my crappy floor. The whole floor wobbles when I move it around. Finally, a crummy little TV stand thing where I bolted my B&D bench grinder, and where I store the drill press jigs and gadgets.
The back wall houses a tool cabinet, the remains of a treadmill, and my new scrap box. Coming back out, I have a Grizzly horizontal (metal-cutting) bandsaw, and a POS Skill TS. Then I have a Delta 36" disc/belt sander bolted to a stand made out of two curbside salvage end tables cobbled together, and a POS Crapsman Suckmaster 2000 router permanently affixed to a router table bolted to a cheap stand. (I've never used the router any other way. I don't have a clue how to do hand-held stuff with it.) Then I have my bigass shop vac and a stack of pipe clamps.
I have a couple sheets of plywood up top, with all my large bits of wood. Mostly salvage. Waterbed frames, tables, hutches, bed slats. One of my neighbors buys new furniture all the time, so I turn her old furniture into various things.
Oh, and a bicycle. New shed's not big enough for all the bicycles. <sigh>
I'm falling in love with it again. It was full of crap for far too long. Think I might make some stuff this year. Ever since I started playing with Linux, I've been spending vast amounts of time on the computer, but I think it's about time I got out and did some stuff for a change. The computer stuff isn't holding my interest, which is probably just as well.
I'd be out there now except it's stuffy as hell with the doors shut, and the brown bugs drove me nuts last night. I found three of them in my hair when I took a shower.
Well, my 'whole' shop is 16x20, but there is a wall that runs through the middle of it. I am left with about 10x16 each side. The real problem is the ceiling is only 6.5' high. I have long considered tearing out the wall and replacing it with a beam but the original construction was non-standard to say the least and someone came along and put a new roof with framing on top the old roof and framing. I'm not sure what is holding what.
The builder also used ringshank nails, about 3500 per board I swear (it was built by fourteen year olds). I tore out part of a wall and it took me all day with a hammer and crowbar.
It has 2x6 joists (probably SYP full size 2x6), 24" o.c., spanning 8 feet (maybe), the front is fairly solid, the back is very bouncy, I'm afraid to put anything heavy back there. It's too close to the ground to crawl under, the whole place is sitting on cinder blocks, bricks, 4x4s, whatever was handy when they built it, but it is level.
My tablesaw and workbenches are in the front half, the back half is mostly empty. I am thinking of sealing off a corner to use for finishing.
I hope to build a new shop next year, at least 20x24 with tall ceilings.
If anyone has an idea how to beef up that floor without crawling under it, I'm all ears.
--
McQualude

Ayup. Did the Linux things for years myself, made things for others (for free of course, goes with the territory). I tell you, it's really life-consuming. I retired my last Linux box over a year ago in favor of a $99 hardware router. Don't really miss it.
--randy
Randy Chapman wrote:

I'm not walking away from Linuxdom. Just ran out of things to do to entertain myself, I guess, so I rediscovered an old friend. :)
Wed, Jul 16, 2003, 10:10pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) claims: <snip> I have to steer this thread in a new direction in order tocontinue to enjoy ownership rights. :) <snip>
Why not just start a new thread? Got way too many threads that just streatch on here anyway.
So my shop is around 10'x12' which is a whopping 120 sq ft. <snip>
Mine's 8'X12', you do the math. OK, got a set of sheves on the right, with various stuff, mostly car stuff Stick welder on a cart, bench bandsaw, Craftsman router (that has worked very nicely for several years) in a oruter table, 37" wood lathe, bench saw on stand, bench drill press, Crafsman scroll saw that works quite nicely, bench sander, bench ginder, one Tiki, small work bench, and sabre saw, sander, detail sander, angle grender, 3 or 4 corded drills, cordless drill, a whole batch of wood and metal files, a batch of clamps (mostly shop made), severl hammers, sack of dog food, folding chair, radio, fan, and misc. A lot of it is hanging from the rafters and along the walls. Oh, yes, have three more routers, all Craftsman. And a batch of mechanics tools, radio control boat, some fishing rods, wood drying for various projects, patterns. Can I get in and out, find stuff, and work in it? Yes. Oh yeah, double bit ax, Disston saw, two hammer hatchets, baby sledge hammer, section of railroad track as an anvil. And I don't remember what all else just now, or care.
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
"You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it Damned foolproof."

windows the sloping bottom of the stair way with my bench under it . A table saw, band saw, 7jointer dust collector 2HP, thickness planer and a small path to the laundry area.

Lucky man. I've got a 9' x 12' room *BUT* it's got 4 sections of 16" deep utility shelving (bye bye 20+ sq ft.), *and* 6 4-drawer legal file cabinets (bye-bye another 20+ sq. ft.) in it. I loose another 8 sq. ft. in a corner 'blocked off by cabinets and shelving, and another 3x4 space by the entry door. "usable" space is a little over 5'x8'. In there I've got a contractor saw on a mobile base, and have to _rotate_the_saw_ depending on whether I'm going to cross-cut and rip. Also a bench-top drill-press, benchtop jointer, and a bench-top 'router table'. The saw does double duty as the work-bench.
Oh yeah, this is a condo, I don't have the option of using a shed in the yard.

Gosh--I can't identify with that at all. <ahem>
Red Hat 7.0. Last of many Linux boxes I built. I gave up my life in front of a puter for a life in front of a work bench.(Good choice if you ask me) Mine is a small el shaped shop in the basement of my home. 8'x13' and then 13'x12.5' Low ceilings just under 7'. Walking thru the door into the shop the first thing you see is the work bench I built last fall. 80"x36" Not a hand me down but I needed some thing quick. 1-1/2" partical board with 1/4" hardboard over 2x4's every 6" framed in 1"x6" oak with a 9" woodworking vice. To the right is some shelves attached to the 2x4 wall studs holding my hand tools ie: sanders, jig saw, routers, drills, planes ect.. to the left is my Ridgid 13" planer that is on the stand that it came with but no wheels so I have to pick it up and move it to the center of the room when ever I want to use it (can you say hernia). Next to the planer is my Grizzly 18" garage sale($200) band saw. It's on a dolly but I need to get it set up with proper wheels too.If you go into the middle of the room you have to look out so you don't crack your head open on the center lolly column (PITA). Next to the lolly is my contractor table saw with two cast iron extensions, past that is the radial arm saw and dust collector. At the back of the shop is some shelves and the heater for the house. All my dust collection pipe is on one wall with drops to the RAS and TS and a flex pipe for the planer. Only one small window supplys all the outside light to the shop. I have 6- two bulb x 4' fixtures and two 100 watt incondescent(sp) lights to make up for the lack of windows. It's a little too small and a little too damp and a little under lit but all in all there is not many places I would rather spend an afternoon and thats what it's all about Right?
Well you asked!
Mine is a 16 x 24 with a 3' x 24 extension on one side for some lumber storage- Added it under the 3' overhang I insisted on when it was built. On either side of the recycled patio door is a RAS & work bench & clamp storage. The other side is my WT lathe , my ancient craftsman jig/scroll saw & more storage & the grinder/buffer. The old sears shaper , a roll around sanding station & my Ridgid planer on rollers are stored- along with a stack of Honey locust that is waiting to be planed. In the corner is my stand up compressor, two band saws ( one of which is an old JC PENNY Rockwall) The other is a salvaged 18" craftsman that I wouldn't even think about re tensioning each time I use) Then the opening to the lumber storage. Next is the WT Drill press that I gave far too much for at a garage sale, a large vise & storage. against the West wall ( I started South) Is the old TAMU drill press I got for almost nothing, a 1" bench sander/grinder made in someone's college class & my 4" /6" sander the kids got me for my birthday one year. The center is dominated by my 8" Craftsman TS & JC Penny 4" jointer (Delta) mounted on rollers. Overhead all around the shop is storage. I forgot to mention thet SWMBO stores her pool cleaning stuff under the RAS ( I forbid the chlorine & shock- she went for it when I mentioned how much it would cost to replace the tools damaged by the stuff). The shop HAD open rafters & it was just too hot (N Texas), So I installed some 1/2" foil covered foam on the bottom of the ceiling joists. Now the recycled AC actually keeps the place cool enough to work if I turn it on before the temp gets above 80. As to junk in the shop-- While there is some, most of the junk is now accumulating in the garage- along with 'free' stuff I get from jobs (read "cast-offs") You asked
Photos of my shop are at home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-modelbof
It's not a woodworking shop per se, it's a building shop for giant scale radio controlled model aircraft.
No Shopsmiths, no Grizzly, no high-dollar anything.
Just hundred-dollar BORG table-toppers that suit my brand of wood-butchery.
Which reminds me . . . I was supposed to report back with some numbers and photos of the shop-vac driven dust collector lash-up.
I'll try to do that tomorrow. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
In my little home shop, 16' x 24' I have a Delta contractor's saw, a roll around cart that serves as an outfeed support, a 14" Jet bandsaw, an old Craftsman Radial Arm saw, a 6" Grizzly jointer, a router table (from Woodsmith plan) w/ a Makita 3hp, a Makita 10" slide compound, a Craftsman 15 1/2 Drill Press, 2 benches, a Chang Iron 3hp shaper, a Ryobi 12 1/2 portable planer, a Wagner 3 stage HVLP, and so much sCRAP accumulation from the years that I can't even begin to go out there and enjoy it. =0( That's partly because during the week I work in a 40' x 60' cabinet shop. Believe it or not, we have outgrown this space and have a foundation in and plans for a new 60' x 80' shop in the Fall/Winter.
Lenny
a few pics of our present shop here.. http://members2.clubphoto.com/lenny191637/1466518/guest.phtml
Sat, Jul 19, 2003, 1:02pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: Well, I effectively did when I changed the subject completely. I just preserved the heritage. :)
No you didn't, you just kept the old one going.
You have a smaller shop than mine, JOAT? Somehow I find that hard to believe.
I don't know, I didn't do the math.
Welder. Ooooooh. I want one of those.
Got a nice wire welder too, but the older kid's got it. They don't want to borrow the stick welder.
Bandsaw too. You can have my Craftsman router though. It's very difficult to adjust well, and there's a lot of slop in the collet/shaft, making it want to flex away from the work. I find it very difficult to avoid gotchas. Almost everything I've ever done has some little irregularity.
Mine lives in my router table, with a flush trim bit in it, no adjustments, has worked just fine for years.
Lathe too... Sheesh.
You probably wouldn't like it, it's from HF, and only cost about $129, about 5-6 years ago. No vibration to speak of, and works great.
Scroll saw... <snip>
Yeah, a nice little variable speed Craftsman. Clearance apparently, a few years ago, out of the store for about $35 or so. Very similar models a few days later for around $170-180. Same type of dea, and similar price, l on my bandsaw. If you're polite to the Woodworking Gods, they tend to appreciate it.
Then I flipped the track and repeated. Got down to where there's only ~1" of un-cut track in the middle. No tool I own can touch it. <snip>
You'r not thinking. I've seen track cut in half in Vietnam with two guys taking turns on a hacksaw. They were cutting on it and hadn't got too far thru when I first saw them, and were finished when I came back thru an hour or so later. Or, there's always a torch.
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Mine lives in my router table with a round-over bit in it.

I'd wager the track you saw in Vietnam wasn't this tall. This is *big* rail. Model railroaders complain about how out of scale the standard, cheap code 100 track looks, because the rails are too big to represent the kind of track that's most frequently used in the real world, and this stuff is what that model track scales up to.
I can't reach the bit that needs cutting with any hacksaw I own, and I don't have a torch (just a propane job... not hot enough.) Plus, I suppose most importantly, I don't really need it cut. I was going to give an anvil to a friend who moved away four years ago. He didn't get it.
I figure it ain't goin' anywhere, and I'll do something with it when I really need it. Or maybe one day it will finally break when I get upset and go pound on it for awhile. :)
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:26:53 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

away immediately after use or it becomes unusable.
[snip]

--
-Doug

"African-Americans watch the same news at night that ordinary Americans do."

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/WO0305/S00256.htm
The Repair Guy http://repairguy.hypermart.net
Silvan wrote:

Trust me.....you're not! And we don't even want to get into what I have stuffed into my truck and know that I have but don't know where it is because I didn't put it back in its proper place when the job was done. Workbench?? Wanna try a 2'x24'er that's stacked full length & depth? But I know what I want is there....it's just the where part that sometimes wears me down. :-)
Scott
up later, the damage remains.
Sun, Jul 13, 2003, 8:11pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: <snip> I learned this from Dad I guess. At least I can eventaully *find*my tools. His just disappear forever. <snip>
He obviously has kids. I found two sockets in my driveway the other day. And when I say "in", I mean imbedded.
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html