Tales of the unkept shop...

My problem is that I keep buying additional tools at sales. I use pegboad, but I use shipping tags covered with clear plastic with the names of the tools on them. That way I know what is missing, and if I need someone to get something, they will instantly know if they got the right tool.

Reply to
ToolMiser

I'm finding out that my new smaller shop has to be organized and tools put away immediately after use or it becomes unusable.

[snip]
Reply to
Doug Winterburn

See I may be green, but my way already sounds way more interesting than winning silly old money don't it?! ;O)

I reckon by the time I've remade it THAT many times I'll need another barn full for project two! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube

Reply to
Gnube

You have a good point there sire, and thanks muchly for making it! ;O)

You also made me think that old Clint Eastwood record might have something to offer too;

I talk to the trees, and I tell them what they are going to be once I've done "explaining" shape & size to them!

Take Care, Gnube I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)

Reply to
Gnube

Well I'd class myself as little more than a newbie with that, and the first ten years were definitely the worst! ;O)

Sold a few models down the years and had my stuff wind up in one or two fairly famous media type places - I never did quite feel quite right with it all in the end though. It felt like someone else was doing and enjoying the things I made, it felt like I just did the grind and meeting deadlines stuff the whole time - I love it that now I get to hold what I just made in my hands and can turn it round and see it glint or sheen now and again without using a mouse to idly twirl it like that!

I'm really glad that I shelled out for the machines & software over the years, and kept them once I was done with it all, as for an individual's use it is just so wonderfully over the top for designing wooden things, but makes it easier for me to make things by using that part of my toolkit for what is more or less roughing out, I get to see if I'd like it when it's finished and if not change the bits that bug me - like a spread sheet does really!

Just about worth persevering with I'd say. Only just though, as it's a lot of work to get really cozy with it all! Good modeling software is the key element, and there's even some free stuff about the net if you look about. A renderer is of limited use in this role. Using modeling software as opposed to flat out CAD is often way, way easier - I get lost in CAD packs despite being sort of used to them. GMAX is free, but has a pretty horrid interface in my opinion. Some say it's better once you get used to it - but I never got used to it! ;O)

Sorry, I rambled (must be the result of standing on firmer ground!)

Take Care, Gnube I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)

Reply to
Gnube

stuffed into my truck and know that I have but don't know where it is because I didn't put it back in its proper place when the job was done. Workbench?? Wanna try a 2'x24'er that's stacked full length & depth? But I know what I want is there....it's just the where part that sometimes wears me down. :-)

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

Harry really needs to have a long sitdown chat with someone. LOL

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

Sounds luxurious. My downsized shop is 11' x 22' and the garden shed is an 8' x 8' lawnmower garage.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Sun, Jul 13, 2003, 8:11pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: I learned this from Dad I guess. At least I can eventaully *find* my tools. His just disappear forever.

He obviously has kids. I found two sockets in my driveway the other day. And when I say "in", I mean imbedded.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

That *is* a big part of my problem. If it's bigger than a toothpick, I can probably use it for something eventually. I have piles of little odd shaped scraps.

'Ceptin' mine are all over the workbench, or under it.

Reply to
Silvan

wasps or something - I don't even understand the lust for more wood to

I'm at odds with myself. I'm a bigtime huge treehugger. I *love* trees. They're my babies. I can't imagine killing a baby and slicing it up and turning it into a desk. How horrible!

Yet I love to work wood. I'm like a pro-lifer working in an abortion clinic.

I guess mostly I just like *making* stuff, and wood is the most practical material of choice. When I was a kid, my parents were poor, and they couldn't afford to buy me very many of the toys I wanted. I had a whole collection of reasonably accurate Star Wars toys I made out of cardboard and duct tape, including an AT-AT whose leg joints were articulated. (Dad worked in a grocery store. Lots of boxes. Duct tape I had to use sparingly, and he was always bitching at me about how much of it I used...)

I made all kinds of things--sometimes quite large things--out of cardboard and duct tape. Now I make it out of wood, metal, plastic, screws, bolts, nails, glue. Dad never did any of the stuff I do, and I didn't learn this on his knee. I own tools Dad never even imagined, and he's always coming over (we're neighbors now) to use my shop.

Being a grown-up is fun! (Well, sometimes.)

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan responds:

Yeah. I tried giving it to friends with wood stoves as kindling, even. But all my friends with wood stoves are also woodworkers and are not short of kindling.

Charlie Self

Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

Maybe. Everybody says I was switched at birth. :)

SWMBO never goes out there... Doesn't know a ball pein hammer from a Forstner bit, and likes it that way.

I guess I like it that way too. ;) Isn't enough room out there for both of us anyway.

Reply to
Silvan

I'd probably do the same but it's one of those custom-built shops where anybody who's taller than I am smacks his head on my lights. No room for cabinets.

I'll have to figure out what to do with some cabinets eventually though. One of these days I need to do what you're doing. Don't know what I'll do with the old ones, but I won't throw them away. I have a real problem throwing things away that could conceivably be useful some day.

I've already decided that when my kids leave home, we're taking the largest of the two bedrooms and making a closet out of it. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Repair Guy

The Repair Guy

Everybody I know who uses wood has switched to those sawdust pellet deals.

Reply to
Silvan

Most of the "sawdust pellet deals" that I've seen have electrically operated pellet feeders. When the power goes out and it's -20 F outside it's not a good feeling to find out that your new fancy stove won't keep you warm.

I'll stick with wood in an old Franklin stove. Low tech, but it works.

Phil

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
PC

Silvan responds:

You need to get further out in the boonies. Only yuppies use such things in the country.

Charlie Self

Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

With a small basement shop I'm learning that neat-freak makes a whole lotta sense. If I let things slide it takes way too much time and effort to get things sorted out so I can work. I'm headed back down shortly for my *third* evening of cleanup. Bleah.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On 15 Jul 2003 18:00:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) scribbled

They have been tried in the Yukon. And given up just as quickly, even by the yuppies and other lazy slobs who don't want to get up in the middle of the night. Good old dried & split firewood (pine & spruce) is where it's at. The hot thing (bad pun intended) these days is the Scandinavian style masonry stove. They rely on the thermal mass to keep on heating through the night so you don't have to get up & feed the fire.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi