Tales of the unkept shop...

Page 2 of 4
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:57:45 -0500, "Steve Kreitler"

You have a good point there sire, and thanks muchly for making it! ;O)
You also made me think that old Clint Eastwood record might have something to offer too;
I talk to the trees, and I tell them what they are going to be once I've done "explaining" shape & size to them!
Take Care, Gnube I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)
Gnube wrote:
wasps or something - I don't even understand the lust for more wood to

I'm at odds with myself. I'm a bigtime huge treehugger. I *love* trees. They're my babies. I can't imagine killing a baby and slicing it up and turning it into a desk. How horrible!
Yet I love to work wood. I'm like a pro-lifer working in an abortion clinic.
I guess mostly I just like *making* stuff, and wood is the most practical material of choice. When I was a kid, my parents were poor, and they couldn't afford to buy me very many of the toys I wanted. I had a whole collection of reasonably accurate Star Wars toys I made out of cardboard and duct tape, including an AT-AT whose leg joints were articulated. (Dad worked in a grocery store. Lots of boxes. Duct tape I had to use sparingly, and he was always bitching at me about how much of it I used...)
I made all kinds of things--sometimes quite large things--out of cardboard and duct tape. Now I make it out of wood, metal, plastic, screws, bolts, nails, glue. Dad never did any of the stuff I do, and I didn't learn this on his knee. I own tools Dad never even imagined, and he's always coming over (we're neighbors now) to use my shop.
Being a grown-up is fun! (Well, sometimes.)
Mekon wrote:

Harry really needs to have a long sitdown chat with someone. LOL
Scott
up later, the damage remains.
HarryM wrote:

That *is* a big part of my problem. If it's bigger than a toothpick, I can probably use it for something eventually. I have piles of little odd shaped scraps.

'Ceptin' mine are all over the workbench, or under it.
Silvan responds:

Yeah. I tried giving it to friends with wood stoves as kindling, even. But all my friends with wood stoves are also woodworkers and are not short of kindling.
Charlie Self
Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan
Charlie Self wrote:

Everybody I know who uses wood has switched to those sawdust pellet deals.
Most of the "sawdust pellet deals" that I've seen have electrically operated pellet feeders. When the power goes out and it's -20 F outside it's not a good feeling to find out that your new fancy stove won't keep you warm.
I'll stick with wood in an old Franklin stove. Low tech, but it works.
Phil
Silvan wrote:

PC wrote:

True. I have to admit the thing puts out some heat though. Dad has one. Gets the fuel for free because he works part time for the dealer, maintaining his computer network. (OK, he doesn't get exactly the fuel for free... :)

They have a generator to run the thing in an emergency.
We have gas logs. How yuppy is that? I figure that bigass propane tank will last awhile in a pinch though. We rarely use it otherwise. (Also have a heat pump.)
One thing's for sure, I don't miss splitting wood. We used to get a load of logs every year and work it up. Usually about six cords per truck. The first year we did that, Dad didn't know what he was buying, and it was a mostly 3' diameter red gum.
I broke a lot of Craftman mauls that year. Never did get a couple of those damn things split until they had rotted for a few years.
To say nothing of the time the log truck broke Dad's shit pipe, and we had to go out and deal with a geyser of sludge in the yard...
No, I think gas logs and sawdust stoves sound like a fine idea. :)
Silvan notes:

Ain't it fun? I used to split it with a chainsaw. Only way to go.

Reminds me of a farmhouse I rented many years ago: sewage pipe clogged; plumber went out and busted said clog loose. I then discovered that the sewage pipe drained into a local cow pasture. I never again bought local beef.
Charlie Self
We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom. Stephen Vincent Benet

plumber
pipe
Having grown up on dairy farms I can with certainty that the cows lay down more than enough of their own sewage that there really wasn't any need to be concerned about the little extra you all added. 8^)
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:09:27 -0400, Silvan

GOT MILK?
"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Silvan responds:

You need to get further out in the boonies. Only yuppies use such things in the country.
Charlie Self
Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan
On 15 Jul 2003 18:00:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) scribbled

They have been tried in the Yukon. And given up just as quickly, even by the yuppies and other lazy slobs who don't want to get up in the middle of the night. Good old dried & split firewood (pine & spruce) is where it's at. The hot thing (bad pun intended) these days is the Scandinavian style masonry stove. They rely on the thermal mass to keep on heating through the night so you don't have to get up & feed the fire.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Charlie Self wrote:

Ain't that the truth. I used to live in the boonies. Now I live in the new business center of town, and I haven't moved. (Well, I bought the house next door to my parents'. I lived away for a few years, but if you gloss over that, I've been in the same spot since 1983.)
Super Wal-Mart, Super K-Mart, Target, Borg, Lowe's, Books-a-Million, Barnes & Noble, mall, motels, restaurants out the wazoo, and a host of other, lesser businesses. Why, I even have an 18' high concrete wall 100' from my bedroom window, at the top of which is a new four-lane highway. To top it off, the vacant lot across the street now hosts an enormous 2-story steel affair with a huge parking lot to match. The owner never finished the thing, and I get to look at rotting OSB, and an old, broken-down U-Haul truck.
Used to be a big cow pasture, a horticultural research farm, a corn field and a patch of land with some weedy trees. :(
Progress sucks.

Or, when she doesn't.

table
I'm as bad, if not worse. I'm only able to work in my shop occasionally, but once or twice a year, I have to pull everything out of it, sweep, vacuum up all the dust, and reorganise the wood piles. Doesn't do any good, but I try. My problem is that when I put something down, it instantly dissapears. Hopefully soon I'll be able to afford to build a bigger shop.
Steve
Jeepntein writes:

You're in trouble already. Any shop that's "not quite as large as I wanted" is going to end up messy. Of course, so is any shop that's as large as you want, unless you're super neat.
Huge shops mean you need two sets of portable tools, one at each end: that generally means that when you work in the middle, you pick from BOTH ends, and everything becomes mixed.
Charlie Self
I think we agree, the past is over. George W. Bush
so, what is one to do....be a neat-freak...or...just have one big.....messed up shop....so far, i got a smaller shop for tools....n pole-barn for wood storage. tractors n such......never ends..

keep
as
wanted" is

want,
and
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:43:20 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

Sounds luxurious. My downsized shop is 11' x 22' and the garden shed is an 8' x 8' lawnmower garage.

--

-Doug

"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country?
With a small basement shop I'm learning that neat-freak makes a whole lotta sense. If I let things slide it takes way too much time and effort to get things sorted out so I can work. I'm headed back down shortly for my *third* evening of cleanup. Bleah.
djb
--
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw