Talc as Rust Protection

Page 6 of 8
Charlie Self wrote:

I feel the same way about used car salesmen, and, well, anybody in any flavor of the sales trade.
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Now up to 15 + minutes in some 30 minute time slots.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

In the mists of memory, the feds had at one time limited advertising, or the networks did so voluntarily to keep from having the feds do it, to about 7 minutes per 30. Doubling that had to help profits, but also drove audiences away, IMO.
As I recall, this was one of the more benign influences of cable.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine
Time is _much_ cheaper on cable stations. Nobody is gouging, in spite of conspiracy theories. Most agencies will also allow targeting advertising across channels with similar demographic for a modest extra fee.
FCC licenses over-the-air and rules apply.

You forgot the part about "here's $20 so you can buy some more booze".
Guessing that reality TV comes under some news or documentary umbrella which would not require releases.
However the "innocent" are still protected by munging the faces.

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

For some nostalgia, go to China; all the pop cans use pull tabs.
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:34:45 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

Preserve me from students armed witha quick blast of Google !

First of all, one of those refs cites one study that suggest a possibility of talc as a carcinogen. Now carcinogenity is always a tricky thing to prove, and especially so in rodent studies. Ever kept rats ? They develop tumours if you look at them funny! The natural state of a rat is to either be eaten or to develop skin tumours. A one-off rodent study alone just isn't convincing proof.
Secondly, did you look at the exposure mechanisms ?
First of all there's inhalation. We're trying to _wipe_ the tablesaw here, not to pretend it's Columbian Rustproofing.
Secondly - well, if you're doing _that_ with your tablesaw, you really need to get out more.
Finally you're into "tampons considered harmful" territory. Americn medical science is bad enough at the best of times, there being so many vested interests trying to skew the results. Since TSS was recognised, the veracity and independence of _anything_ involving tampon health risks is just a minefield of checking who paid for the study, and who is trying to rubish competitors products.
Dust exposure in a woodworking workshop is a serious issue. This week I've been exposed to epoxy (fume and sanding dust), a variety of timbers being sanded, spalted timbers (spores), damp timbers (spores), eroding firebricks, many sorts of asbestos sheet, silver-solder flux (which is pure evil in powder form) and the ever-present risk of my unearthed dust collector exploding. I've even got a jar of silex in there - air float silica, one of the nastiest inhalation hazards you can find. Just yesterday someone even lit up a cigarette in there.
So I'm going to worry about _talc_ somewhere between earthquake, flood and Attack By Giant Flying Robots.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andrew Barss wrote:

Try the material safety data sheet, not some random web site sponsored by God knows who with God knows what agenda. The big problem with the internet is that any nut can put up a web site and there's no way to tell the nuts from the reliable without doing more investigation than most people are willing to do. Applying Sturgeon's law (90% of _anything_ is crap) one assumes that any information contained on a web site put up by any body that doesn't have an established record of responsible behavior and reasonable accuracy is automatically suspect.
You can find the MSDS for talc at <http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t0026.htm . Note that it is _silica_ that is the suspected carcinogen, not talc. That's like, beach sand. Also note the allowable exposure--20 million particles per cubic foot or 2 mg/cubic meter. That's for chronic exposure, and that's actually quite a lot of talc.

--
--John
I use turps and candle wax mix. On my table saw and band saw. Haven't had any rust yet. My work shop is just a roof and three sides, at times it gets a bit damp in there.

My Taiwanese table saw came with the same instructions. I did try it a couple of times but abandoned it. Can't really remember whether exactly why but I don't recall being real impressed with the results. I presently rub my cast surfaces with Nevr-Dull to clean any slight rust discoloration and then coat with Johnsons paste wax every now and then. Works well in my basement shop. I notice a lot of WW'ers seem to like Top-Coat for cast protection. Billh

I have a Grizzley jointer that is about 10 years old and it came with the same instructions. I had some talc that was used to install inner tubes in aircraft tires so I tried it. I kept up the practice for about two years and it worked and although I haven't applied talc recently the jointer still doesn't rust like my table saw and lathe bed. I live in the hot humid south and if it'll work here it'll work anywhere.

that and can understand why from BillH's experience, I would think that the powder would actually collect and hold moisture from natural condensation, keeping it there. It is no doubt in my mind that a giant company passing on such information would really be needing an owner to buy a new table "when" it becomes over rusted from possible neglect, no matter who the future owner would be. I could be totaly wrong and if I needed to I would read-up on it from other sources.
Companies go crazy figuring out people and their naivete, and how to make as much money as is possible. Every tiny damn detail of whatever is taken into account by business engineers. As a bad example, a long time ago, American Airlines decided to remove one olive from each and every salad that is served on flights. In one year that saved them $40,000.xx -fact.
Go with something made for the job like Top Coat or like BillH, paste wax. Not Boshield though, it is for protecting machinery from rusting during storage. I like Ace super oil, made to be a cheaper 3-in-one you can smell the parrafin in it, which nicley stays as a thin coating on the metal.
Alex (my only machine is a mini DP, but everything I said is the way I think)
AAvK wrote:

FWIW, according to a tape I have by motivational speaker Bob Harrison, AA surveyed 1st class passengers, then removed the unwanted olive.
-- Mark

Sounds like paid business propaganda. I love olives, I would never do that! Alex

Yes it helps prevent rust by keeping the surface dry. Put a large piece of chalk in your toolbox and that will help prevent rusting tools.

Sure, as a single element on it's own, working as an absorbant of condensation or that which becomes such, right out of the air. Just like those silica gel packs you buy in camera stores. But I think rubbing talc into the grain of metal is quite the opposite, I think it will be trapping and holding moisture right to the metal, causing rust.
Alex
Christ is in our Midst!

Ron, I simply add a several coats of a good Car Wax to my Iron or Steel

Is it anything as creepy as "waking up with The King"?
UA100
Unisaw A100 did say:

And tell him to read the FAQ before posting. Unless, of course, he's all-knowing. In which case he can start posting immediately.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.